Did you mean: 

Gas Station $150 temporary hold.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gas Station $150 temporary hold.

@kilroy8wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Might be different with different cards.  WIth Discover at Shell, i see a $1/auth, with AMEX i see the exact amount.  This is just at Shell IME.

It varies depending on the vendor/business.  Kroger has a sign on their pumps that pre-auth will be $150 - period. People mostly get gas at the same place over and over, so they will need to use their own experience to learn the policies of that place. As I said earlier, I always prepay inside and the amount is exactly how much gas I get, not a penny more or less.

My Kroger(s) doesn’t say this. This is where I’ve been using Discover this quarter and my auth charges have been $1. Yay me! 

Message 51 of 63
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:

@kilroy8wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Might be different with different cards.  WIth Discover at Shell, i see a $1/auth, with AMEX i see the exact amount.  This is just at Shell IME.

It varies depending on the vendor/business.  Kroger has a sign on their pumps that pre-auth will be $150 - period. People mostly get gas at the same place over and over, so they will need to use their own experience to learn the policies of that place. As I said earlier, I always prepay inside and the amount is exactly how much gas I get, not a penny more or less.

My Kroger(s) doesn’t say this. This is where I’ve been using Discover this quarter and my auth charges have been $1. Yay me! 

+1

I think it must be location-specific with Kroger (which in this case, I'm thankful for!).  Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 63
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Guessing the amount you need isn't so hard. $30 if near a quarter tank left, $35 if near E. Also, if you go inside, you get to flirt with the ladies that work there. Have gotten a date or two that way Smiley Happy. (It's OK, I'm divorced and allowed to)

Message 53 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchbluewrote:

I hate going inside to pay.. Lines, too much chit chat - noisy as heck. So much faster paying at the pump..

Yeah, long lines are definitely a drawback to paying inside.  When I don't have a gas coupon to use I always pay at the pump.  

Message 54 of 63
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

This one is actually in Cincinnati, but the signs here are similar:

poster_aeeafacb7c504f8092efc424dca1be93_70461405_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Message 55 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Holy molly!! Smiley Surprised

Message 56 of 63
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@kilroy8wrote:

Guessing the amount you need isn't so hard. $30 if near a quarter tank left, $35 if near E. Also, if you go inside, you get to flirt with the ladies that work there. Have gotten a date or two that way Smiley Happy. (It's OK, I'm divorced and allowed to)

At a gas station? Really. I thought libraries or maybe the grocery store were the places to go.

Smiley LOL

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 57 of 63
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Absent vacations, since we only fill the tank once or (at most) twice a month, it's not a big deal.  And even on travel, my limits are sufficient that the hold isn't an issue for me.  The most recent hold was $95 at the local Shell station, paid via Amex.

That said, I monitor the Pending charge to confirm the amount that in fact posts (Amex has an online button that makes this easy), and I take both the receipt and a photo of the pump value.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 58 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

I stopped using my Debit card for many things like this years ago, especially at Gas Stations. I only use it when I'm physically attached to it at all times. As for the hold, I've never seen anything over $50 on mine. Which is typiacl for a tank of gas n most vehicles. Who thought $150 is a good idea for holds? We aren't staying a night at Hoiday Inn Express! lol

Message 59 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kilroy8wrote:

This one is actually in Cincinnati, but the signs here are similar:

poster_aeeafacb7c504f8092efc424dca1be93_70461405_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

wowwww 

Message 60 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.