Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas & Store Credit Cards Scoring

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gas & Store Credit Cards Scoring

I know there is a thread for the back door numbers, but what about scoring? I have never been able to get approved for an Gas or Store Credit Card, but I have 3 credit cards now (1 new from Capital One), but the other 2 are fairly an year old and they have been in great status since. However, when I apply for a store or gas credit card I get denied, I had a BK 6 years ago, not sure if that affects it or not... Does too many inquiries affect it as well??

Seems like all my friends have an Sears Card, and yet they state there credit is worse than mine...lol, I'm like well obviously it isn't...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Re: Gas & Store Credit Cards Scoring

Chevron/Texaco (GE Money Bank) approved me for their basic gas card. My score at the time was around 620-650. Forget who they pulled, probably Transunion though. Great card as it helps me keep my fuel expenses better managed. Shell - being Citi, with a BK, forget it. Citi hates BKs no matter how old they are. BP/Arco/76 which I think is Chase, same thing. BK unfriendly.
Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 2 of 5
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know there is a thread for the back door numbers, but what about scoring? I have never been able to get approved for an Gas or Store Credit Card, but I have 3 credit cards now (1 new from Capital One), but the other 2 are fairly an year old and they have been in great status since. However, when I apply for a store or gas credit card I get denied, I had a BK 6 years ago, not sure if that affects it or not... Does too many inquiries affect it as well??

Seems like all my friends have an Sears Card, and yet they state there credit is worse than mine...lol, I'm like well obviously it isn't...

There's probably more than jury your BK that they are looking at.  What is the uti on the cards you do have and your current scores?  And yes, to many inquiries can affect apps.  What are the reasons for denial you are getting?  I had a bk in 04.  I started rebuilding on 05 with some HSBC and Barclay cards.  But, I also opened a Macy's, Walmart, and JcP account within 3 years of the BK.  And I was very surprised about the JcP account as I had one that was included in the bk.  Chase def blacklists you with the bk.  Most people when getting approved for cards will post what their score was, limits received, and whether it was hard/soft pulls on the forums.  Search the forums for JcPenny card, for example. and I'm sure you'll find posts about scores for approval.  Good luck. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 3 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

What is a good retail card for fair credit???

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is uti? But, the cards I have now the limit's are only 300 & 450, and a 0 balance on both, I use them, but pay them off at the end of the month.  I just got approved for a Secured Capital One, so I'm hoping that will help me out too, I"m going to place at least 1000 on it. The type of denials I am receiving are like "too many delinquences (which have been paid off for 3 years now), too many inquiries, etc. Never includes anything about my BK. I'm just laying low right now, and not applying for anything else, and I have started writing my GW letters to get some things taken off my report.

Thanks for the infoSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.