Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas and Grocery Card

tag
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Gas and Grocery Card

@Anonymous wrote:

I used my new Sallie Mae card that everybody says doesn't exist anymore for the first time on Thursday. 5% rewards on both my gas and walmart purchases posted today. But by all means, let's not let that data point get in the way of the nerfing hysteria.

Honestly, I think we're all going to be granfathered in.. It make no sense to just take it away from everyone.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 11 of 40
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I love my BofA cash card. It counts Walmart as groceries. Imagine going Christmas shopping or back to school supplies and getting 2% back. I loved it even more when I banked with BofA and could combine the customer bonus + BankAmerideals all in my savings account, but still a great straight cash card. Also lets you get a check while Amex only lets it be a statement credit
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 12 of 40
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Take note not all Walmarts will count as grocery on BOA, or any card. It truly is location variable.
Message 13 of 40
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Take note not all Walmarts will count as grocery on BOA, or any card. It truly is location variable.

True that. I'm fortunate my Sallie Mae gets 5% at my Walmart but I know other poeple who have the card and it doesn't work..

Message 14 of 40
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Really? Didn't know that. Gotta test it out then
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 15 of 40
kdm31091
Super Contributor

For fun and giggles ive tried my upromise mastercard at both local Walmarts and they come up as discount stores. Doesnt matter really as my amex is my grocery card and I rarely shop at walmart anyway, but definitely not every walmart counts as grocery.

I get most stuff at target with my redcard or BJs with their 5 percent card, and outside of that I use my BCP at grocery stores.
Message 16 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I use my Amex at the Wal Mart I usually shop at, it comes up as a Discount Store. But when I use my Sallie Mae mastercard at that same Wal Mart, it shows up as groceries. 

Message 17 of 40
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I use my Amex at the Wal Mart I usually shop at, it comes up as a Discount Store. But when I use my Sallie Mae mastercard at that same Wal Mart, it shows up as groceries. 

Same.

Message 18 of 40
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

I prefer to shop at Schnucks anyway but i should keep that in mind. 

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 19 of 40
UncleB
Credit Mentor

There are some really good suggestion here.  Smiley Happy

I'll just add that I also really don't care for annual fees... that being said, if your grocery spend is high enough the BCP could be a better deal than the BCE, even after you subtract the annual fee.  That's actually the case for me. 

The cut-off for which one to choose (if you're only talking about groceries) is approx. $210/month.  If you spend less, stick with the BCE.  If you spend more, even after the AF the BCP will still get you more cash back.  This doesn't take department store purchases or gas into account, which you'll also want to consider.

Here's the 'back of the envelope' math (keep in mind this only takes grocery purchases into consideration):

• BCP   $210/month * 12 = $2520 * 6% = $151.20 - ($75 AF) = $76.20 annual cash back
  • BCE   $210/month * 12 = $2520 * 3% = $75.60 annual cash back

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.