Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas, groceries AND dining out

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Gas, groceries AND dining out

@Roadgeek395 wrote:

Do I have to wait for the letter or can I call them?

With any issuer, it's usually better to wait for the letter so you can discuss the specific reason(s), especially if the reason is wrong, or you have a very good explanation.   You don't want to be in the position of explaining your excellent pay-on-time history if their concern is too short history/too many new cards/inqs etc.

Message 51 of 64
Roadgeek395
Regular Contributor

I got my letter from NFCU today. It states reason for denial was:

Balance status of navy federal accounts

Insufficient variety of secured loan accounts

Length of navy federal membership

Direct deposit status with navy federal

Would it be a waste of time to recon?

Message 52 of 64
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Roadgeek395 wrote:

I wouldn't say the odds are good you'd get a positive result but I always look at it as you won't be any worse off than you are now if you try.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 53 of 64
Roadgeek395
Regular Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Roadgeek395 wrote:

I wouldn't say the odds are good you'd get a positive result but I always look at it as you won't be any worse off than you are now if you try.

I'll go ahead and try it. What should I say? Any recommendations?

Message 54 of 64
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you can, pay down your current NFCU balances as much as you comfortably can before you call. Since that's the 1st thing on their list it's probably the most important reason.

You don't have a variety of secured accounts because you don't need them.

Be prepared to explain why this specific card is of interest to you and how you plan to use it, including a rough guess about how much spend you plan on putting on it each month.   Basically, sell them on why you want this exact card and how you will use it regularly.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 55 of 64
Roadgeek395
Regular Contributor

I'm brand new to NFCU. I don't have any credit cards with them as of right now. When it talks about balance do they mean not enough money in my NFCU savings account?

Message 56 of 64
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

@Roadgeek395 wrote:

I'm brand new to NFCU. I don't have any credit cards with them as of right now. When it talks about balance do they mean not enough money in my NFCU savings account?

No, I don't think they require a large amount in a NFCU savings account. I would call them. Get some advice.  

I only had $25 in a savings account which I opened during the membership process. I applied and was approved for my first card about a week later I think.  I know it wasn't the same day I became a member.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 57 of 64
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

@Roadgeek395 wrote:

Hey everyone!

I am hoping someone can help me find a credit card that meets my criteria. My criteria is at least 3% cash back on gas, groceries AND dining out, dining out must include fast food and no AF.

I'm not sure if there is a card that meets my criteria with the exception of AOD but I doubt I would qualify with them.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I scrolled through and didn't see this mentioned, it's a little niche but if you're a Verizon Wireless customer.  The Verizon visa (issued by Synchrony) is 3% on dining, 4% on gas and grocieries.   No annual fee.  The downside, you have to be a Verizon customer and you can only use your cash back at verizon or towards your verizon bill.     I applied last year before Chase began offering 3% on Freedom for dining, now it seems everyone has followed and I have 5 cards that offer 3% (soon to be 6 if the rumors are true that Chase CSP will be 3% too).   

Message 58 of 64
Roadgeek395
Regular Contributor

NFCU Recon

Does anyone know how long it takes for NFCU to reply to a recon request sent through a secure message?

Should I call them?

Thanks 

Message 59 of 64
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFCU Recon

@Roadgeek395 wrote:

Does anyone know how long it takes for NFCU to reply to a recon request sent through a secure message?

Should I call them?

Thanks 

Based on other threads floating around, it appears it could take them up to a week (give or take).  Calling them isn't going to speed up the process, unfortunately. 

Message 60 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.