cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas rewards card 5% or higher? Whats out there?

tag
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

Gas rewards card 5% or higher? Whats out there?

Hello FICOers!  

Im planning my credit card strategy for 2023 and I am looking for a high percentage cash back card for Gas.  I currently have Discover which has 5% revolving quarterly categories.  One is gas, and another is Apple Pay transactions.  So 6 months out of the year I can get 5% on gas using those 2 categories.  I have an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred that will give me 3% on Gas purchases, but wondering if I can get 5%+ year round.  The Penfed Platinum Rewards will do 5x points but for cash its .85 cents a point and only for gift cards.  So thats 4.25%.  Any more ideas?  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Hansolojr
Contributor

Re: Gas rewards card 5% or higher? Whats out there?

Try the Abound CU Platinum Visa.  You get 5% uncapped on gas, plus 5% capped on rotating categories.  The 5% cashback credits directly to your account on the following statement.

Abound pulls TransUnion.  $10 one-time membership fee to join the CU.  All non-Kentucky residents have $2,000 SL; you can request CLI after 12 months, with hard pull.

There are other cards like Citi Custom or BofA Customized that can get you 5% or more on gas, but they have smaller caps or other gimmicks.

Message 2 of 37
DakotaM
Regular Contributor

The Citi Shop Your Way card is 5% on gas and 3% on grocery stores and restuarants on up to $10,000 in purchases.  The card is known to have a lot of pretty generous bonus offers too!

Workers-Credit-UnionWorkers-Credit-Union

Message 3 of 37
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Hansolojr wrote:

Try the Abound CU Platinum Visa.  You get 5% uncapped on gas, plus 5% capped on rotating categories.  The 5% cashback credits directly to your account on the following statement.

Abound pulls TransUnion.  $10 one-time membership fee to join the CU.  All non-Kentucky residents have $2,000 SL; you can request CLI after 12 months, with hard pull.

There are other cards like Citi Custom or BofA Customized that can get you 5% or more on gas, but they have smaller caps or other gimmicks.

Given OP's satisfaction with Discover, bonus spend caps on Citi and BofA are unlikely to be a problem. But it would help to know OP's ballpark gas consumption (in gallons, at least, if not in dollars).

I don't drive a lot so usually just fill up at Costco when the lines aren't bad. 4% cash back and lower prices.

*A few people have mentioned Citi. Citi has pretty flexible PC rules. Rather than going straight for a card with a good earn rate on gas, you might consider going for a travel card with a big SUB and PCing after a year. 

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 37
Simmonowski
Established Member

Have you tried your BCP at a grocery store that has gas pumps?  Mine codes as grocery, giving the 6% back.  

Message 5 of 37
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DaWhole9 wrote:

Hello FICOers!  

Im planning my credit card strategy for 2023 and I am looking for a high percentage cash back card for Gas.  I currently have Discover which has 5% revolving quarterly categories.  One is gas, and another is Apple Pay transactions.  So 6 months out of the year I can get 5% on gas using those 2 categories.  I have an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred that will give me 3% on Gas purchases, but wondering if I can get 5%+ year round.  The Penfed Platinum Rewards will do 5x points but for cash its .85 cents a point and only for gift cards.  So thats 4.25%.  Any more ideas?  Thoughts?

The Comenity AAA Travel Advantage Visa gives you 5% cash back on gas and E/V charging (on first $7k spend annually), and 3% cash back on dining, groceries, travel, and AAA spend (uncapped, I believe).

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 37
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

This is the only time that I know of this happening so it can't be relied on with any regularity but, hey, if they did it once, it may happen again.....  this current quarter (Q4 '22), there was a unique offer of 10% cash back with the Chase Amazon Rewards card!

https://www.chase.com/mybonus/ggaamazon1  

Good replies up above.  As has been mentioned, the citi Custom Cash can be used for gas at 5% CB but you'd be using it only for gas (at least for that quarter(s) ) so hopefully you won't need it for another 5% cat.  If you have the Rewards+ card, the CC can be a 5.5555% CB card.  Smiley Wink  

You can get another 5% rotator like Freedom which may give you an extra 5% CB quarter per year.  

The citi Shop Your Way is 5% back in points, not true CB.  Yes a point equals a penny but you must redeem for gift cards.  Thus, you aren't getting 2% - 5% CB on that following purchase so the SYW card is effectively a 4.75% to 4.9% CB card.  However, with that said, there are a handful of other ways to get more cash back or points with the SYW card.  I won't go into that here.

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 7 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Simmonowski wrote:

Have you tried your BCP at a grocery store that has gas pumps?  Mine codes as grocery, giving the 6% back.  

To expand on this thought, 'back in the day' before I had dedicated gas cards I would use my BCP to purchase a Kroger gift card (inside the grocery store) then use the gift card to pay at the pump for my gas.

Worked like a charm. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 37
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Good replies up above.  As has been mentioned, the citi Custom Cash can be used for gas at 5% CB but you'd be using it only for gas (at least for that quarter(s) ) so hopefully you won't need it for another 5% cat.  If you have the Rewards+ card, the CC can be a 5.5555% CB card.  Smiley Wink 

You can get another 5% rotator like Freedom which may give you an extra 5% CB quarter per year.  

This is our strategy right now also. Now that Affinity is out of the mix, we'll capture as much 5% gas spend as we can with a combination of the Freedom Flex, Discover, and the Custom Cash. Hopefully the CFF and Disco will have gas in different quarters. Ideally, they'd both have restaurants in different quarters, but that's usually not the case. 

In the first quarter, where neither of the rotators cover gas or restaurants, we'll use a combination of one of the Custom Cash cards and my 4% PNC card for gas, and the other Custom Cash and one of the Elan MCP for restaurants and fast food. It will be more a hassle than straight 5% card for sure. 

Affinity spoiled us with a full year of 7% on gas this year...😞🤷‍♂️

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 37
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

@Simmonowski wrote:

Just curious...what are some???  I can only think of Sams Club and Costco, and I'm not a member of either, although maybe thats worth it to join.  

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.