cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas rewards card 5% or higher? Whats out there?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Gas rewards card 5% or higher? Whats out there?

@DaWhole9 wrote:

@Simmonowski wrote:

Have you tried your BCP at a grocery store that has gas pumps?  Mine codes as grocery, giving the 6% back.  

Just curious...what are some???  I can only think of Sams Club and Costco, and I'm not a member of either, although maybe thats worth it to join.  

FWIW...Costco is Visa-only, and gas is (at least at the clubs I've been to) billed as "Costco Gas" separately from warehouse purchases.

Pharmacy purchases, and warehouse clubs with separate checkout areas for alcohol, can sometimes appear as "Costco Gas".

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 37
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

@DaWhole9 wrote:

@Simmonowski wrote:

Have you tried your BCP at a grocery store that has gas pumps?  Mine codes as grocery, giving the 6% back.  

Just curious...what are some???  I can only think of Sams Club and Costco, and I'm not a member of either, although maybe thats worth it to join.  

I've never had a grocery store pump code as grocery. I'd be upset if it did since I'd be using a gas card. My current strategy is to use Hilton Honors Business at 6X - which is around 3.5% - but the best use of this card. (Personally) DW drives an electric, but my gas guzzling Wrangler seems to be getting worse milage the more gas prices increase lol.

Might have to rethink my strategy. I like the idea of using gift cards. I could get away with buying one per month - that's not too much of a hassle. I think a couple of my local grocery stores offer gas points on the purchase of their own gift cards. Might be able to get an extra % or two that way too. I'll explore some options. I bet I could hit 7-8% with DW's BCP and store point gas discounts - maybe more. Personally I prefer points, but it's hard to argue against that kind of discount.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 12 of 37
sarge12
Senior Contributor

It is a Synchrony card, and requires a Sams Club membership, but a Sams Club card gives 5% cash back on all Gas stations in Sams Bucks, which I think must be used at Sams or maybe a statement credit.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 13 of 37
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

This is a topic that comes up here reasonably regularly.   I'll point to a couple of other fairly recent threads to help with ideas.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Help-With-GAS-CARD/m-p/6547409

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Best-Gas-credit-cards/m-p/6455686#M1801361

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 14 of 37
Simmonowski
Established Member

@DaWhole9 wrote:

@Simmonowski wrote:

Smaller grocery chains like (Here in IL) Kroger, Schnucks, County Market.  Oddly the gas counted as grocery on my BCP but my Custom Cash counted it as gas.  I downgraded to BCE to use CC for groceries and that threw me a curve ball.  The gift card method is great for this issue.

Message 15 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@AlanGJP wrote:

@DaWhole9 wrote:

@Simmonowski wrote:

I've never had a grocery store pump code as grocery. I'd be upset if it did since I'd be using a gas card. My current strategy is to use Hilton Honors Business at 6X - which is around 3.5% - but the best use of this card. (Personally) DW drives an electric, but my gas guzzling Wrangler seems to be getting worse milage the more gas prices increase lol.

Might have to rethink my strategy. I like the idea of using gift cards. I could get away with buying one per month - that's not too much of a hassle. I think a couple of my local grocery stores offer gas points on the purchase of their own gift cards. Might be able to get an extra % or two that way too. I'll explore some options. I bet I could hit 7-8% with DW's BCP and store point gas discounts - maybe more. Personally I prefer points, but it's hard to argue against that kind of discount.

I can share that my local Kroger doesn't code as grocery or gas on the BCP/EDP.  Or to be more specific, it technically does code as "gas" on the statement, but you don't earn rewards at the enhanced rate.

Not coding as grocery makes perfect sense, but for some reason in the fine-print Amex excludes supermarkets that sell gas - one would expect it to at least trigger the lower fuel multiplier.  Interestingly, buying fuel at the Kroger fuel island *does* trigger the 5% gas multiplier on the USAA Rewards Plus American Express, so the exclusion isn't with the Amex network, just the AENB ("Amex proper") card products.

Speaking of exclusions, the Sam's Club MasterCard used to have similar language about excluding gas purchased at grocery stores, however at my local Kroger I've always earned 5% cash back regardless.  (The exclusion language might still be there... I've not had a reason to check in a while since for me it works anyway.)

Message 16 of 37
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I can share that my local Kroger doesn't code as grocery or gas on the BCP/EDP.  Or to be more specific, it technically does code as "gas" on the statement, but you don't earn rewards at the enhanced rate.

Not coding as grocery makes perfect sense, but for some reason in the fine-print Amex excludes supermarkets that sell gas - one would expect it to at least trigger the lower fuel multiplier.  Interestingly, buying fuel at the Kroger fuel island *does* trigger the 5% gas multiplier on the USAA Rewards Plus American Express, so the exclusion isn't with the Amex network, just the AENB ("Amex proper") card products.

Speaking of exclusions, the Sam's Club MasterCard used to have similar language about excluding gas purchased at grocery stores, however at my local Kroger I've always earned 5% cash back regardless.  (The exclusion language might still be there... I've not had a reason to check in a while since for me it works anyway.)

Kroger is the vender I was referring to above, so thanks for the tip! Smiley Wink So once again, I'll have to expand my thinking. X1 also triggers their multiplier (when available) at Safeway, and likely Kroger. So perhaps this is exclusive to Amex?

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 17 of 37
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

You may go electric to eliminate gas spend. Here is one example: ~300 miles on full charge and a full charging can be done overnight at home in garage (charging cost is almost negligible). If urgent, fast charging can be done (~30-60min) at stations.

Anyway, Penfed Platinum gives 5x on gas/EV charging and the card does not have AF. Based on the Nerdwallet link below, redeeming can be done for travel ~1.7 cent/point and ~0.85 cent/point for GC. So, in the best case, it gives 8.5% return and there is no CAP.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/credit-cards/penfed-platinum-rewards

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 18 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@xenon3030 wrote:

You may go electric to eliminate gas spend. Here is one example: ~300 miles on full charge and a full charging can be done overnight at home in garage (charging cost is almost negligible). If urgent, fast charging can be done (~30-60min) at stations.

Anyway, Penfed Platinum gives 5x on gas/EV charging and the card does not have AF. Based on the Nerdwallet link below, redeeming can be done for travel ~1.7 cent/point and ~0.85 cent/point for GC. So, in the best case, it gives 8.5% return and there is no CAP.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/credit-cards/penfed-platinum-rewards

Except the OP is "looking for a high percentage cash back card for Gas."

If their strategy had stated purchasing an EV or Hybrid vehicle (which now defeats the savings paradigm) then I could see the suggestion for a new vehicle altogether in addition to a CC that may provide maximum return on either. I'm assuming the OP is content with what they have unless they express some interest in an EV as well.

At any rate, in addition to the other suggestions upthread, the PenFed Platinum could be of some consideration for gasoline purchases cashback.

Message 19 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me we use either the old grandfathered in Penfed Platinum rewards that's 5% at the pump, or Citi Custom Cash.

The old Penfed card got revamped about 8 years ago; I'm not a big fan of its replacement.

I haven't read all the replies, but I will tell you this.  I drive a car that requires 93 octane due to the performance chip (Audi).

Nothing has saved me more in the past few months than my membership at Sam's Club.  I found a coupon to get the $50 membership for $20.  Sam's Club for example - the 93 octane here just north of Columbus last week was $3.95.  93 at Sam's was $3.23.  That coupled with the Citi custom cash has been a huge savings.  My wife and I both got the Citi Custom cash, then became authorized users on each other's account, so combined we get basically $1000 @ 5% in either 2 categories total or one big category.  Right now we're doing Fast Food/Restarants at 5, and gas at 5.  I printed a small black label on her cards so she knows which Citi card to use.

Good luck.  I don't work for Citi or Sam's Club Smiley Happy

Shawn

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.