cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas rewards card 5% or higher? Whats out there?

tag
mediocrebadguy
Established Member

Re: Gas rewards card 5% or higher? Whats out there?

Abound pulls TransUnion.  $10 one-time membership fee to join the CU.  All non-Kentucky residents have $2,000 SL; you can request CLI after 12 months, with hard pull.

I'll be switching to my Abound card for gas in the new year (after a nice run with the Affinity card). I had a very different experience with the SL. I'm nowhere near Kentucky and they gave me a $15,000 SL when I applied last summer. Can confirm it was a TransUnion pull though.

Message 21 of 37
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

What Cards Do you use For Gas?

Just wonder what cards you guys use to earn points.  Right now I use the Citi Premier.  I belive it is 3x card.  Will also consider any 5%+ cashback cards.  

I do have a couple BofA cards that give me more than 5% CB with the 1.75x on 3%.  And the AmEx Biz Gold that could get 4x on gas as part of the category.  But for whatever reason, those cards are not taken with the merchant I use the most.  So they are out right now.

I'm sure there are others.

Message 22 of 37
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: What Cards Do you use For Gas?

I mostly buy Costco gas and use my Costco Visa. It's a lower-spend category for me so a simple solution is good enough.

What cards recognize Costco gas as a bonus category? Freedom? BofA CCR?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 23 of 37
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Duck Unlimited 5% cash back although no longer offered in the 5% form.  

Message 24 of 37
SeaProbe
Regular Contributor

Right now I am using my AmEx BCE for gas. This summer I was using my CCR when gas was going through the stratosphere.

You said that neither your BOA nor AmEx are accepted, so that won't help you. Another option to receive at least some rewards is the Apple Card. 2% as long as you use Apple Pay for the purchase and no quarterly cap.

Message 25 of 37
cws-21
Established Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Just wonder what cards you guys use to earn points.  Right now I use the Citi Premier.  I belive it is 3x card.  Will also consider any 5%+ cashback cards.  

I do have a couple BofA cards that give me more than 5% CB with the 1.75x on 3%.  And the AmEx Biz Gold that could get 4x on gas as part of the category.  But for whatever reason, those cards are not taken with the merchant I use the most.  So they are out right now.

I'm sure there are others.

Two good currently available options are the Citi Custom Cash and Abound CU Visa Platinum.

Message 26 of 37
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

I alternate with Citi custom cash 5%cb on gas, Sam's Club 5%cb on gas and CreditOne 5%cb on gas.

Message 27 of 37
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

I use my BofA CCR which also gives me the Platinum Honors Rewards bonus.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 28 of 37
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@SeaProbe wrote:

Right now I am using my AmEx BCE for gas. This summer I was using my CCR when gas was going through the stratosphere.

You said that neither your BOA nor AmEx are accepted, so that won't help you. Another option to receive at least some rewards is the Apple Card. 2% as long as you use Apple Pay for the purchase and no quarterly cap.

I have problem with this vendor/merchant not taking AmEx Biz Gold and BofA Biz cards.  That takes away the 4x and 5.25%.  I'm using Citi Premier 3x now for gas.  My personal BofA cards are set for online shopping.  The Citi Cus Cash is set for grocery.

I may use one of my Citi Sears cards for gas.  The great Chase promotion of 5x on United Miles is gone at end of 2022.

I have no plan to open new cards from those smaller banks or CUs just for gas.

Message 29 of 37
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

This thread is treasure full of useful info.  Thank you all.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.