cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas rewards card 5% or higher? Whats out there?

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: What Cards Do you use For Gas?

I can vouch for Comenity's AAA Visa paying the 5% out when used in Costco gas pumps, along with Chase Freedom during gas quarter and PNC Cash Rewards Visa paying 4%.

As far as Amex, pay attention to the Amex offers as I've had 10% at Exxon/Mobil pumps show up in the past and it will stack with normal gas rewards offered on the card product. For almost a year I had 13% back at a nearby Exxon, plus using Exxon/Mobil's own rewards program threw a little extra return per gallon.

Message 31 of 37
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

Re: Gas rewards card 5% or higher? Whats out there?

My workaround.  My discover is 5% at grocery stores right now and they double that because I am in my first year, so I have been adding a Arco gift card to my groceries every week and using Discover.  So that will get me 10%.  After that I will switch to doing that with my AMEX BCP card which will give me 6% back.  I just keep those gift cards in my car and use them when I need gas.  

Message 32 of 37
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Redstone FCU Signature Visa is another 5% card option with 5% on gas & restaurants.

Message 33 of 37
Rogue46
Established Contributor

If you use your BCP more then 30x in a month you can get 50% more points back which effectively gets you there 

Message 34 of 37
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Rogue46 wrote:

If you use your BCP more then 30x in a month you can get 50% more points back which effectively gets you there 

The 20x/30x transaction multipliers are features of EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred which earn MR points. Blue Cash Preferred is a completely different card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 35 of 37
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Rogue46 wrote:

The 20x/30x transaction multipliers are features of EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred which earn MR points. Blue Cash Preferred is a completely different card.

Yeah your right,  I always get them mixed up since I have both cards.

Message 36 of 37
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

I have been using BCE/EDP exclusively for groceries and gas, but I am thinking about switching.  The Comenity AAA brand of cards look promising.  No AF and No FTF, and their bonus also works at wholesale clubs.

But I have a big bulk of my CL with AMEX with those 2 cards.  I am not sure what to do with them. I will surely keep them around, especially the EDP even if I have to downgrade to ED, but lack of use resulting from switching to another gas/groceries card will most certainly see CLDs, maybe even closure/AAA.  I would hate to lose what I have worked for to receive those CLIs with AMEX.  So I am very hesitant on applying for a new card to replace BCE/EDP.

I don't do Delta or Hilton, and the Cash Magnet is worse than Cap1 QS that I have, so there is no point in opening another No-AF AMEX card just to shuffle around CL either, because that one won't see spending on it either.

What to do..... hmm.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.