Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas station holds - how they differ

tag
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ

Speaking from the industry:

It's merchant specific, depending on their terms with visa/MC/amex. If you ask the merchant they are generally ill-informed and blame the bank, if you ask the bank they blame the merchant. There is a way to clear the hold early, but it's a hassle and usually only done when a power outage caused a pump to not send a final amount to the bank/network.

Holds(preauths) vary between $1, $75, $100, and $125. Amex is almost always $100. MC is almost always $1. Visa is usually $1, but can be $75-100 rarely. Debit cards can vary widely.

As far as WF Propel, it's an Amex network so it falls into the usual $100 preauths for at-the-pump gas. It takes longer for pending transactions to post on this specific card as well.

If you want to avoid the $100 preauths on Amex you can pay inside for a set amount, if the card has a lower limit this is generally less hassle than waiting for it to post and release available credit.

Message 11 of 48
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting responses. I used my Amex Business Gold for gas all the time and my transactions are processed in real time and I've never had a hold.

Occasionally I see a $1.00 authorization but then second after hanging up the pump the transaction is pending for the actual amount, the $1.00 is gone and there's no $100 hold either.

Come to think about there was a time when I used my EveryDay Preferred for fuel and it never happened with that card either. The big dog in my area is QuikTrip, Mobil, and Phillip 66. Never had an issue using my Amex cards at either of those places.
Message 12 of 48
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

I think that it may be more than card network specific too. I think it's a combo of network, issuing bank, and specific merchant. I use all of my cards for gas at a wide variety of stations. My Amex, Disco, and DC always have a hold for $1 on them, then the final amount posts within a couple of days depending on the card, and which station I used.  Then after that, the $1 hold is lifted again. I have never once had anything higher than $1 placed on any card. My Cap1 does exactly the same thing as the OP mentioned. It gives a preapproved amount of $1, then almost immediately posts the correct final amount and the $1 falls right off. It was always something I liked about using my Cap1 at the pump.  It's weird how this one seems to vary so much between everyone. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 13 of 48
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

I think that it may be more than card network specific too. I think it's a combo of network, issuing bank, and specific merchant. I use all of my cards for gas at a wide variety of stations. My Amex, Disco, and DC always have a hold for $1 on them, then the final amount posts within a couple of days depending on the card, and which station I used.  Then after that, the $1 hold is lifted again. I have never once had anything higher than $1 placed on any card. My Cap1 does exactly the same thing as the OP mentioned. It gives a preapproved amount of $1, then almost immediately posts the correct final amount and the $1 falls right off. It was always something I liked about using my Cap1 at the pump.  It's weird how this one seems to vary so much between everyone. 

Yes, it's really interesting to see the variance in experiences.  The Propel card is the first time I've ever seen such massive holds placed against credit limit.  I've been using various cards for years, including previous AMEX, and never noticed this sort of thing.  But of course, I had to run my test with the Cap1 this morning to be sure I was recalling things correctly....and I was.  More reasons to like them now. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 48
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

I have yet to use my Propel at a gas station, but all of my other Amex Cards (amex and ncfu) place a $1 hold. Debit cards have placed larger holds.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 15 of 48
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

@mikesonthemend wrote:

I have yet to use my Propel at a gas station, but all of my other Amex Cards (amex and ncfu) place a $1 hold. Debit cards have placed larger holds.

Mike, make a point to try a gas station.  Once you do, be sure you look under your temp authorizations (dropdown above your posted transactions) in your app for the $100 hold.  Let us know!

Message 16 of 48
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

My FNBO Ducks Unlimited Visa does this everytime at every gas station. Since it's my dedicated 5% gas card, I notice it. Only ever a $1 hold though.....don't think I've ever seen a hold larger than that. I wonder if it's region specific to have such high holds that you guys have mentioned? A $100 hold each time would be pretty aggravating.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 17 of 48
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

My FNBO Ducks Unlimited Visa does this everytime at every gas station. Since it's my dedicated 5% gas card, I notice it. Only ever a $1 hold though.....don't think I've ever seen a hold larger than that. I wonder if it's region specific to have such high holds that you guys have mentioned? A $100 hold each time would be pretty aggravating.

It's very aggravating.  Imagine my shock when I got a notification for a $350 purchase at QuikTrip!  For a GAS HOLD!!! Smiley Very Happy

It wouldn't be so bad if it automatically dropped off the next day, but they will tell you 5-6 business days and that's what I've been seeing.  That part is terrible.

Message 18 of 48
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I used to get a $100 hold on my Delta amex. Then one day it stopped and it's updated in real time now.

Message 19 of 48
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't had the issue at as I mentioned in a previous post but one thing I will say is a benefit for hold like this at a gas station, those that rental car companies tend to hold, etc is that when you're using an Amex charge card it really doesn't affect you available credit since most are NPSL.

And I put all of my gas purchases on my Business Gold so I guess even if I did get a station that did this it wouldn't really matter that much as it relates to available credit being reduced. 

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.