cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas station holds - how they differ

Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ


@Taurus22 wrote:

My FNBO Ducks Unlimited Visa does this everytime at every gas station. Since it's my dedicated 5% gas card, I notice it. Only ever a $1 hold though.....don't think I've ever seen a hold larger than that. I wonder if it's region specific to have such high holds that you guys have mentioned? A $100 hold each time would be pretty aggravating.


I was actually wondering that too about being region specific. It's just so weird that differen't folks' experiences vary so wildly. 




FICO 8 Sep '21 EX 746 EQ 748 TU 741
Message 21 of 48
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ

Never in the history of ever have I gotten a $100 hold at a gas station. Now I kinda wanna try it with my AMEX Gold to see what happens....for science. 



Message 22 of 48
ReturnOfTheCredi
New Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ


@Loquat wrote:

I haven't had the issue at as I mentioned in a previous post but one thing I will say is a benefit for hold like this at a gas station, those that rental car companies tend to hold, etc is that when you're using an Amex charge card it really doesn't affect you available credit since most are NPSL.

 

And I put all of my gas purchases on my Business Gold so I guess even if I did get a station that did this it wouldn't really matter that much as it relates to available credit being reduced. 

 


Yeah, the issue on the Propel is that it DOES reduce your available credit.

Message 23 of 48
gropious
Valued Member

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ

I find that it is gas station specific. some gas stations will leave the $100 pending until it posts. Other stations it will show the actual amount while pending. I have found this to be the case with several different lenders. 

Message 24 of 48
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ


@ReturnOfTheCredi wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

My FNBO Ducks Unlimited Visa does this everytime at every gas station. Since it's my dedicated 5% gas card, I notice it. Only ever a $1 hold though.....don't think I've ever seen a hold larger than that. I wonder if it's region specific to have such high holds that you guys have mentioned? A $100 hold each time would be pretty aggravating.


It's very aggravating.  Imagine my shock when I got a notification for a $350 purchase at QuikTrip!  For a GAS HOLD!!! Smiley Very Happy

 

It wouldn't be so bad if it automatically dropped off the next day, but they will tell you 5-6 business days and that's what I've been seeing.  That part is terrible.

 

 


Unless you are using a diesel pump at a truck stop there is a hardcap of $200 at the pump, can't exceed this without hanging up and pumping a second time.

 

And it seems like from what people are saying that Amex cards from Amex act differently. The Propel takes ridiculous amount of time to post. I'm guessing it's a WF thing




Goal: Mortgage/Chase Trifecta






Message 25 of 48
ReturnOfTheCredi
New Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ


@Nomad3 wrote:

@ReturnOfTheCredi wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

My FNBO Ducks Unlimited Visa does this everytime at every gas station. Since it's my dedicated 5% gas card, I notice it. Only ever a $1 hold though.....don't think I've ever seen a hold larger than that. I wonder if it's region specific to have such high holds that you guys have mentioned? A $100 hold each time would be pretty aggravating.


It's very aggravating.  Imagine my shock when I got a notification for a $350 purchase at QuikTrip!  For a GAS HOLD!!! Smiley Very Happy

 

It wouldn't be so bad if it automatically dropped off the next day, but they will tell you 5-6 business days and that's what I've been seeing.  That part is terrible.

 

 


Unless you are using a diesel pump at a truck stop there is a hardcap of $200 at the pump, can't exceed this without hanging up and pumping a second time.

 

And it seems like from what people are saying that Amex cards from Amex act differently. The Propel takes ridiculous amount of time to post. I'm guessing it's a WF thing


Yes, the $350 hold was at a QT that has a tractor trailer pull-through which is where all the diesel pumps are.  So I got hit like I was a truck.  But this is a station I will be using a lot, especially since they are currently .20 a gallon cheaper than everywhere else.  


This card's holds and time to drop off is no bueno for me and I would agree, it's likely a WF thing.

Message 26 of 48
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ

First Amex biz card and I handed them out to all the employees and said to use these for fuel only.  Okay, so I go online to check to see how everything looks, check up on the employee swipes and all.....'bout had a heart attack!  $100 hold x's 7 (first day pending charges).

Now I'm used to it and those holds come off within 48 hrs. generally but if my cl had been small Idk what I'd do to utl. this as a Biz card.

"My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home"
Message 27 of 48
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ

I feel like I've seen a sign at some gas stations that says there will be $75/$100 holds on credit card purchases. This along with the note about QT doing $350 hold would lead me to believe the gas station sets the policy.



Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 28 of 48
ReturnOfTheCredi
New Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ


@seattletravels wrote:

I feel like I've seen a sign at some gas stations that says there will be $75/$100 holds on credit card purchases. This along with the note about QT doing $350 hold would lead me to believe the gas station sets the policy.


Well, remember, the $350 hold was at a pump that normally services big rigs.  They hold a lot more fuel, so their holds are higher.  Any other pump is going to be $100.  But the fact that WF doesn't drop those off faster is a big issue for me.  And I have to believe it's them since they can tell you exactly when it will fall off.  Not really sure, though.

Message 29 of 48
ReturnOfTheCredi
New Contributor

Re: Gas station holds - how they differ

WF, btw, holds my payments as well.  My payments will post one day and three days later, it still hasn't been added back to my credit line.  They claim it's because I'm new to them and my payment account is external and that it will get better, but after clearing six payments with them (all good size), it hasn't made any difference.

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.