cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas station just pre-authed my AMEX for $500!

tag
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

Gas station just pre-authed my AMEX for $500!

I just bought $20 in gas at the pump at a gas station in my neighborhood and it pre-authed my Amex Cash Everyday for $500! **bleep** is that about?

I called up AMEX to let them know and find out if this is unusal and the lady didn't sound surprised and didn't offer much advice. It wasn't a problem for me as the CL is 2k and I had zero on the card but if I where on vacation and this happened a couple times it could kill my card for up to 8 days while these pre-auths came off!

Have you guys seen this? Is it a AMEX thing?

I'm never going there again.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Re: Gas station just pre-authed my AMEX for $500!

No! I too would be royally pissed. Could definately be damaging while on vacation, etc. Good luck and please keep us posted on whether this is an Amex problem or that particular gas station.

Message 2 of 38
dowel911
Established Member

There's a certain Shell station I go to sometimes that will preauth $99.00 on my Zync card. But the Shell station 3 miles down the road (different owner) will preauth $1.00.

Message 3 of 38
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It varies by station and also by the type of card as to how much gets preauthorized.    I always go inside to pay to avoid the preauth situation.

Here's a good recent posting on this topic:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Fuel-Pre-Auth-Now-250/m-p/1129389#M315148

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

On my Amexs I have text alert set for $10 charges ......... only because it won't go lower.   I want an alert for EVERYTHING.

The highest alert I've seen is either 125 or 150.  The typical place I go to is always 100.   I don't remember seeing lower lol.

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

It varies by station and card.  If you only fill up a car at the station, you may never encounter it, but the pump will cut off at a certain amount.  I frequently have to fill up my truck and several extra gas buckets, so I often have to restart the pump with another swipe atleast once.  It varies by station, some I have to restart at $100, some $150, and some go all the way to $200.  It could be that the station you went to cuts off the pump at $500 and authorized your card for that amount.  Some stations probably only pre-authorize $1, no matter what they limit their pump to.  Also, I suspect some card companies will only pre-authorize $1 for gas no matter what the station requests as a pre-authorization.

Message 6 of 38
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

My shell station pre-authorized my zync for 99$. I about ##$%^ my pants.Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 38
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Lambo23 wrote:

My shell station pre-authorized my zync for 99$. I about ##$%^ my pants.Smiley Tongue

LSmiley HappyL ~ you will be walking inside the store to buy gas from now on, like me.... Smiley Tongue

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lambo23 wrote:

rofl

I remember a similar reaction the first time I saw the $100 alert:

"OMGWTH!!!!!!"

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its not an AMEX thing....its a gas station thing.

Ive had the same thing happen, although not quite that high of an amount, at one station down the road here.

Make note of which station it is, tell them you wont be doing business with them again and tell them why, then get your gas elsewhere.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.