Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gasoline Card for Backup

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gasoline Card for Backup

Hey, guys.

I currently carry (physically in my wallet) AMEX BCP and Citi Double Cash.I will use for the 90 day promo

I just got the promo offer for the BP Visa (25 cents per gallon on everything for each $100 spent for 90 days).

I will use at least for the 90 promo for some purchases.

I was thinking that after that I would just downgrade for the GAS STATION VERSION (not a Visa) and just carry it for absolute emergencies

in case both of my other cards in the wallet are not accepted or go down. 

I would use it once a year to keep it active (5 cents off per gallon instead of 10 cents off on BP Visa.).

I do not really want more than 2 bank cards in my wallet, and I already have 2 more visas, so that is why I would do this.

The gas card is much less useful to thieves than a bank card.

any opinions?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gasoline Card for Backup

I meant 90 day promo for the BP Visa.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion, in the big picture, gas cards tend to have little long term use. The initial promo period maybe offer some good rewards value, but after that the returns often fall below a bank issued 2% CB card. At that point, the card just takes up space and dilutes your overall rewards returns.

In terms of fraud, I don’t put much thought into that. I’ve had cards show fraudulent use, and I’m sure I will again in the future. It’s the nature of the beast. You are protected though and fraudulent charges become nothing more than a minor annoyance (especially with AMEX - their service for fraudulent charges is amazing, IMHO).
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead of getting a "backup card" that you'd rarely use, get a card that you would use instead.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been sitting here doing the math on this one to look at it from a rewards standpoint, and I am having a hard time getting the BP to beat the BCP. On day to day gas the BP gives between 2% to 4% depending on the stations, so about even.

During the promotion, you would get a bit more assuming the savings compounds with the regularly discounted gas. That would put you at about 6.5% if you used only BP gasoline throughout (4%).

Shopping at Kroger with my BCP, I get $0.10 per $100 spent. This discount works at Shell stations as well, so once all rebates and discounts are factored, I would be at about 6.25% total under the same scenario. Subtracting the fuel rewards still puts me at around 5% with just the grocery/fuel cashback, so slightly worse than the BP, but not by much.

These fuel cards seem like a great deal. 25 cents a gallon off seems awesome, but you have to figure in the $100 spend required to earn that 25 cents. That's how they get you.

Message 5 of 17
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

The BCP is a much better *gas card* in the long run and you're not stuck with a BP only card. Most gas stations have a rewards only card that you can use in conjuction with your BCP for additional savings. (IE: Exxon/Mobil rewards adds another 1% on top of the comp you get using BCP.)

Message 6 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I find gas cards rarely seem to be worth it. You're locked into that station, and they may not always have the best price, which can more than defeat the purpose of the "savings". A well rounded cash back card is a much better choice IMO for gas purchases instead of applying for a card you really don't have much use for or that doesn't really beat the benefits of what you already have.

Message 7 of 17
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, guys.

I was thinking that after that I would just downgrade for the GAS STATION VERSION (not a Visa) and just carry it for absolute emergencies

Be prepared!  I would just hide a card when going out of town if worried about wallet being stolen. If the gas card is with the others, the thieves are takin' it too.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 8 of 17
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

1. Gas cards usually don't make sense.  I retired from an an oil company and my account has a 10% deduction so it's worth it to me.
Message 9 of 17
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, guys.

I currently carry (physically in my wallet) AMEX BCP and Citi Double Cash.I will use for the 90 day promo

I just got the promo offer for the BP Visa (25 cents per gallon on everything for each $100 spent for 90 days).

I will use at least for the 90 promo for some purchases.

I would use it once a year to keep it active (5 cents off per gallon instead of 10 cents off on BP Visa.).

I do not really want more than 2 bank cards in my wallet, and I already have 2 more visas, so that is why I would do this.

The gas card is much less useful to thieves than a bank card.

any opinions?

Penfed Visa signature , gives 5% for all gas purchase all year

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.