Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gasoline Card for Backup

tag
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

Re: Gasoline Card for Backup

FNBO Ducks Unlimited gives 5% cashback year round.

Message 11 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sghosh5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, guys.

I currently carry (physically in my wallet) AMEX BCP and Citi Double Cash.I will use for the 90 day promo

I just got the promo offer for the BP Visa (25 cents per gallon on everything for each $100 spent for 90 days).

I will use at least for the 90 promo for some purchases.

I was thinking that after that I would just downgrade for the GAS STATION VERSION (not a Visa) and just carry it for absolute emergencies

in case both of my other cards in the wallet are not accepted or go down. 

I would use it once a year to keep it active (5 cents off per gallon instead of 10 cents off on BP Visa.).

I do not really want more than 2 bank cards in my wallet, and I already have 2 more visas, so that is why I would do this.

The gas card is much less useful to thieves than a bank card.

any opinions?

Penfed Visa signature , gives 5% for all gas purchase all year

The old cash rewards did, but the one that is available, Plat Rewards, gives 5 POINTS, which is about 4.2%   

Message 12 of 17
Poppa
Established Contributor

Ducks Unlimited also gives 5% back at sporting goods stores.
FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, guys.

I currently carry (physically in my wallet) AMEX BCP and Citi Double Cash.I will use for the 90 day promo

I just got the promo offer for the BP Visa (25 cents per gallon on everything for each $100 spent for 90 days).

I was thinking that after that I would just downgrade for the GAS STATION VERSION (not a Visa) and just carry it for absolute emergencies

I would use it once a year to keep it active (5 cents off per gallon instead of 10 cents off on BP Visa.).

I do not really want more than 2 bank cards in my wallet, and I already have 2 more visas, so that is why I would do this.

any opinions?

Well if you don't want a bank card FNBO Ducks Unlimited Card is out and even if you want that card it can be a pain to be approved for anyway.  Honestly if you don't want another "bank card" and you are a sam's club member why not just apply for the Sam's Club Mastercard?  It's 5% cashback on gas purchases both at club and regular gas stations (other wholesale clubs and grocery stores that sell gas don't count).  It's a store card technically issued by synchrony bank and it would make your BCP card the backup and would be accepted at more gas stations then the BCP is.   The only downside to the Sam's Club Mastercard is that the cash rewards can only be redeemed at Sam's Club so if your not a member don't get the card.  

Message 14 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sams Club Mastercard would be considered a Bank Card due to it being a Mastercard.
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Sams Club Mastercard would be considered a Bank Card due to it being a Mastercard.
*shruggs* OP is just out of luck than I guess based off his criteria.  Also isn't the regular BP card issued by Synchrony Bank as well?  Technically it's bank card too since a bank actually issues it.  I suggested the Sam's Club Mastercard because it's a retail card...yes it's a bankcard but technically all store cards are bank cards as well with maybe a handful of exceptions.    
Message 16 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, guys.

any opinions?

Well if you don't want a bank card FNBO Ducks Unlimited Card is out and even if you want that card it can be a pain to be approved for anyway.  Honestly if you don't want another "bank card" and you are a sam's club member why not just apply for the Sam's Club Mastercard?  It's 5% cashback on gas purchases both at club and regular gas stations (other wholesale clubs and grocery stores that sell gas don't count).  It's a store card technically issued by synchrony bank and it would make your BCP card the backup and would be accepted at more gas stations then the BCP is.   The only downside to the Sam's Club Mastercard is that the cash rewards can only be redeemed at Sam's Club so if your not a member don't get the card.  

You're also limited to a once-per-year redemption each February and I believe there is no cashback reward on spend at Sam's Club.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.