cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General question about airline miles as rewards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

General question about airline miles as rewards.

Long time lurker and I wanted to ask what seems like a very particular credit card question.

When I get mail advertisements for a United or Delta co-branded credit card, I see a rewards structure of something like 2X or 3X miles per $1 spent on these cards for the respective airline (depending on the card of course). However, I have not found an exact description of how these co-branded credit cards from Delta or United earn miles on top of the miles I would earn from just purchasing tickets without a co-branded card. 

For example, I think I earn something around 5 miles per $1 spent on United airfare when I purchase with one of my non-United credit cards. So if I were to purchase a United flight with a United co-branded card, would I get something like 2 miles per $1 from the credit card on top of the 5 miles per $1 from the purchase?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I've tried to find this information but have been unsuccseful. It would be surprising to me if the miles from the credit card rewards did not stack with the miles from a loyalty account, but I just wanted to check. I have a young credit card history and so I am trying to be very careful with which cards I try to add. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: General question about airline miles as rewards.

You get the miles to the airline loyalty program without regard to the payment method, whether debit card, another credit card, or co-brand CC. In fact, you would get the Delta miles on the Delta FF program even if you used a United co-brand card to buy the Delta ticket, and vice-versa. 

Separately, you earn extra miles on a co-brand airline card when you buy tickets on that airline. Those points are routed on a delay through the CC issuer, usually when the statement prints each month.  You would earn 1 United mile on the United card in the example above, even when buying Delta tickets and getting Delta miles on the Delta FF program. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: General question about airline miles as rewards.

Ok, that makes sense and thanks for explaining the rewards structure. This is what I assumed, but I never saw it spelled out like this which is surprising to me.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.