cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Hilton Aspire through Surpass (Question)

tag
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Get Hilton Aspire through Surpass (Question)

I want to get the Aspire ($450 AF) (I am 100% on that because I want the annual night rewards).

However, I am not sure I if can meet the $4000 spend in 3 months to get the 150K SUB.

My question is, can I apply for the Surpass ($95 AF) instead,

meet $2000 spend for the 125K SUB, then upgrade to the Aspire after 3 months?

I think I won't mind the extra 25K points I am losing from for the Aspire's 150K SUB,

if that means I only need to meet $2000 (vs $4000) spend to get the SUB.

Is this possible? Does anyone have an experience like this with Amex? Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Re: Get Hilton Aspire through Surpass (Question)

Increasing the annual fee on any card is illegal before 12 months even if the consumer asks for it. Smart plan but sadly doesn't work.
Message 2 of 20
ficosuave
Contributor

I believe you would have to wait a year to upgrade, due to the rules on annual fee increases within the first year. One of those regulatory things.

You could take the Surpass bonus now and likely be offered an upgrade to the Aspire (with additional bonus opportunity) once your account passes the one year mark.

Message 3 of 20
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I guess that answers my question. I wanted to use Aspire's benefit by December, so I would have to rethink my strategy. Thanks.

Message 4 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

I guess that answers my question. I wanted to use Aspire's benefit by December, so I would have to rethink my strategy. Thanks.

By not upgrading the Surpass to Aspire, you have $350 in your wallet that you did not yet spend. That should cover a nice hotel for one night, unless you were expecting to visit a Waldorf Astoria. However since the $4k in 3 months is a stretch, I’m guessing WA is not where you are going. Smiley Wink 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even despite the rules barring an upgrade for a year, I’m not sure your plan would have worked. I hope someone corrects me if I’m wrong but I believe your free annual night is awarded on the one-year anniversary of getting the Aspire, not as soon as you get the card or hit the MSR.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My memory is that the free night came on the order of 8  - 10 weeks after I did the upgrade.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe the one year is for a new app, and you get the feee night soon after upgrade because they credit you for the time you had the original card that was PCed...
Message 8 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Even if that worked, upgrading after only 3 months, surely that would be considered Sub hunting by Amex, no?. Good luck on your forth coming app Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could go "Incognito Mode" and apply for the Hilton Surpass with 150k Hilton points for $3k spend. Then at 1 year, hopefully, you get an upgrade offer to the Aspire. If you go for the Aspire right away, you will get your free night certificate in 8-12 weeks. I got mine right around the 12th week.

Hilton surpass.jpg

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.