Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Me to Japan

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Get Me to Japan

What would be the most efficient way? What cards, airlines, transfer partners, etc. would get me there for the least amount of spend? Just curious how people would go about it. Restrictions for this scenario are below.

- travel period is March-April

- must factor in my 40k in Delta skypesos

- has to be a lie flat seat

- multi-stop ok

- flying out of San Diego

- off peak Delta One point cost is 140k round trip, on peak is 280k

- I don't have status

- opening a new card for the sub is acceptable

- this is just hypothetical for now so imagine I qualify for most travel and hotel cards

- and for the comedians from the garden club, yes, I know flying would be the fastest, cheapest, and most efficient way

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Get Me to Japan

Man I wish the Merrill Lynch was still available. I'd tell you to grab one. Those points have great value! 

I put together a trip from ATL to Sydney Australia a couple of days ago. Out of pocket would have been $150 round trip. That's mixing Delta miles flying to LAX and then using Merrill Lynch for the LAX to Sydney. This wasnt first class though. But they were direct flights. Just giving you some ideas.

I thought about Shawn Mendes when I read your title.😂

Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't forget to bring a towel
Message 3 of 37
red259
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

What would be the most efficient way? What cards, airlines, transfer partners, etc. would get me there for the least amount of spend? Just curious how people would go about it. Restrictions for this scenario are below.

- multi-stop ok

- I don't have status

- this is just hypothetical for now so imagine I qualify for most travel and hotel cards

- and for the comedians from the garden club, yes, I know flying would be the fastest, cheapest, and most efficient way

For what year? This year? If so you will want to avoid late april. The emperor is abidicating the throne at the end of april and its hitting Golden week and all sorts of holidays are going to trigger. I don't see you getting any redemptions during that time period or immediately prior to it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

• Which prefecture(s) are you planning on visiting?
  • Will you examine your intestinal fortitude and brave the consumption of Fugu? Smiley Very Happy
  • Are you familiar with the Red Light District? Smiley Tongue
  • Did you know the world's busiest intersection is in Shibuya? Smiley Surprised
  • Do you speak Katakana, Hiragana, and Kanji? 
  • I'm rather envious! Enjoy your trip when you go.
  • (I realize I didn't contribute any answers to your questions) Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 37
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

- multi-stop ok

- I don't have status

Where will you be departing from ?

Loose the Delta requirement and fly for around 85-90K in MR points. Amex Platinum 100K SUB should take care of that. Even the 75K offer should almost get you there with the required spend. 

If you had to fly delta there’s 160K from ATL at saver level. Two delta cards should give you the miles with your 40K to make the flight

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 37
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
  • Which prefecture(s) are you planning on visiting?
  • Will you examine your intestinal fortitude and brave the consumption of Fugu? Smiley Very Happy
  • Are you familiar with the Red Light District? Smiley Tongue
  • Did you know the world's busiest intersection is in Shibuya? Smiley Surprised
  • Do you speak Katakana, Hiragana, and Kanji? 
  • I'm rather envious! Enjoy your trip when you go.
  • (I realize I didn't contribute any answers to your questions) Smiley Very Happy

Its ok, some people just get excited about the mere mention of Japan just blurt out random things about it. I do it too ROFL

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 37
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

- multi-stop ok

- I don't have status

Just did a search on delta.com for March and April from ATL. No 70k seats available to Japan on Delta metal. You’re going to probably need to expand your options to partner carriers like Korean Air and China Airlines, but that’s going to cost you 85k each way (def for Korean, not sure about China Airlines if Taipei bumps into a MPM issue). China Airlines can only be booked on Delta.com to/from Taipei, connections have to be booked over the phone. If this trip is going to be for 2019 i’d say your chances of finding 70k seats on Delta are slim, depending on the hub your using.

Message 8 of 37
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Don't forget to bring a towel

What if customs tries to seize it?

Message 9 of 37
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@red259 wrote:

- multi-stop ok

- I don't have status

For what year? This year? If so you will want to avoid late april. The emperor is abidicating the throne at the end of april and its hitting Golden week and all sorts of holidays are going to trigger. I don't see you getting any redemptions during that time period or immediately prior to it. 

It's just hypothetical to see how people would plan for this type of trip. Realistically, it wouldn't happen until next year hence not factoring my credit.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.