cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting AMEX and Chase?

tag
IOGARCIA

Getting AMEX and Chase?

A little background and current situation: I am 22 years old, barely starting out on credit.

Cards I have:

CapitalOne Platinum - $500 (opened June 2012)

BofA BankAmericard Platinum Cash Rewards - $500 (opened last month)

Discover Matrix - $300 (definitely want to close but I just opened it 2 weeks ago)

Discover IT - $1.5k (opened last week)

I tried applying for AMEX green, gold, and delta with no luck. My TU is 666 and EQ is 656. For my Discover IT, I applied online and they called me to ask more questions about my income and balances on my cards which aren't high at all, and that's how I got approved for that one. Should I call up AMEX and Chase and try that way? I'd appreciate any advice.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Getting AMEX and Chase?

@IOGARCIA wrote:

A little background and current situation: I am 22 years old, barely starting out on credit.

Cards I have:

CapitalOne Platinum - $500 (opened June 2012)

BofA BankAmericard Platinum Cash Rewards - $500 (opened last month)

Discover Matrix - $300 (definitely want to close but I just opened it 2 weeks ago)

Discover IT - $1.5k (opened last week)

I tried applying for AMEX green, gold, and delta with no luck. My TU is 666 and EQ is 656. For my Discover IT, I applied online and they called me to ask more questions about my income and balances on my cards which aren't high at all, and that's how I got approved for that one. Should I call up AMEX and Chase and try that way? I'd appreciate any advice.

Chase wants to see 1 year of history what cards do you want? Edit with such a short history IMO garden for 6 months

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 17
IOGARCIA

I'm aiming for amex gold and chase freedom or sapphire.

Message 3 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@IOGARCIA wrote:

I'm aiming for amex gold and chase freedom or sapphire.

Sorry for my manners welcome to the forum

CSP sorry I doubt 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

IMO, I would wait until your new cards are 1 yr. you have added new accounts to a thin file - Chase and Amex would like to see how you handle those new accounts. Plus your inq's will age some giving you a better chance to avoid a toy limit with Chase.
Message 5 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Do you bank with chase? If you do, you have a good chance at the freedom. If not, I recommend you get other cards in the meantime or go garden
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 17
IOGARCIA

I bank with BofA. Any suggestions on what I should do with the discover matrix? Pay it off and close or pay it off and keep it?

Message 7 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Pay it off and keep it. You can try get it changed to discover it as well
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Discover Matrix IMO close it and make sure it's closed.
Message 9 of 17
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

CLOSE DISCOVER MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.