cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Chase CSR after receiving CSP less than a year ago?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting Chase CSR after receiving CSP less than a year ago?

Last year in April I applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred instead of the Sapphire Reserve as my credit score was good but not excellent. Plus my credit history only dates back to January 2016.

The Chase banker said I would have better chances being of being approved for the CSP, as the CSR only starts at $10k minimum credit limit. My highest credit limit at that time was $6.5k. I was instantly approved for $15k and of course really happy. Meanwhile I received auto CLIs from various other cards (Amex, Discover) to $11.5k and $13.5k each. I continued taking good care of my credit score etc. and meanwhile I am a bit disappointed that I did not apply for the CSR right away. Given the instant approval of $15k for the CSP,  my chances probably weren't too bad back in April after all. My chances for approval should be even better today.

Since I also received the signup bonus of 50k Chase Ultimate Rewards Points with my CSP, I read in their T&Cs that you can only be approved (and receive the bonus) for one of the Sapphire Cards once every 24 months. That would be another 15 months wait in my case and many rewards points & perks missed during that time.

Does anyone have an idea if there is any shortcut for me to receive the CSR earlier?

Thanks and kind regards!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting Chase CSR after receiving CSP less than a year ago?

You can product change to the card starting 12 months after you got the CSP. That's probably the easiest way to do it. You'll only miss out on points and perks for another 3 months.
Message 2 of 11
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

You can call and inquire about a product change around the 11th month. The card act prohibits annual fee increases within the first year.

Chase should let you product change to the CSR granted you meet the minimum underwriting criteria

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:
You can call and inquire about a product change around the 11th month. The card act prohibits annual fee increases within the first year.

Chase should let you product change to the CSR granted you meet the minimum underwriting criteria

Hold on, I need some clarification on this.

Are you saying that if I applied for a CSP in January 2018 and I was approved, I could PC to the CSR in December of 2018 (assuming I meet underwriting criteria), and then when my annual fee rolls around in January 2019, it would be the CSP's $95 annual fee, and yet I could still use the $300 travel credit in 2019 and I wouldn't have to pay the CSR annual fee until January 2020?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. You'd have to pay the $450 CSR annual fee.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK thank you guys. Will probably call Chase close to the 12th month of my CSP and see if they let me product change it to CSR without any strings attached.

Message 6 of 11
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

They can’t product change a card until the 11th billing cycle if the card you want to change it to has a greater annual fee then the one you currently have. The CARD act prevents an increase in annual fee during the first year. So you can call at the 11th statement and ask for the card to be product changed, but I’m sure it won’t actually go into effect until the CSP is exactly a year old

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told by the rep at Chase to wait a year before upgrading to the CSR from the CSP. That doesnt give me a bonus to sign up but does let me upgrade my CSP. I also want to PC my Slate to they Freedom as I have the FU already. I want that Reserve as my next card.

Message 8 of 11
AC666
New Visitor

A little late to this thread but I figured I'd share my experience:

A couple weeks ago I finally went to a branch to apply for the CSR.  I don't have a long history - about 5 years but the history is perfect save for carrying a high balance for a few months due to unavoidable circumstances and a weird student loan from the late 90's that somehow shows up on my EXP score that I don't even remember paying, but it's somehow paid off as of 2013, so that should drop off next year or so.  I have one CC with a CL of $11,000.  No mortgage or auto.

So my scores were TU:762, EQ:760, and EXP: 652.

After some discussion with the banker I decided to apply for the CSP instead of the CSR as he felt it'd be a better chance for approval given my current total CL and the fact that I was pre-approved for it.  Here's where I got information regarding credit pulls, and upgrade opportunities that conflicted with all my research on these cards.

1. I had asked if I can use the same hard pull to apply for the CSP if I was denied for the CSR and he said the system doesn't allow it.  It would be 2 hard pulls in one day.  Most people here an on other forums stated that they were able to just do something similar with one HP.

2.  He mentioned that after 3 months of having the CSP I can request an upgrade to the CSR.  A poster in this thread and others say it's 12 months or more.

Long story short, these two were the main reasons I decided to do CSP.  So he submits the app and it does NOT get approved automatically, but not denied either.  At this point I'm like "oh boy, this blows".

But alas, a happier ending than I ever expected.  He gets off the phone with whomever they call and says, "I have good news and better news:  You were approved, AND since I checked a box that says you plan on upgrading to the CSR, they went ahead and upgraded it and gave you a credit line of $18,900."

Needless to say I was thrilled.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AC666 wrote:

A little late to this thread but I figured I'd share my experience:

A couple weeks ago I finally went to a branch to apply for the CSR.  I don't have a long history - about 5 years but the history is perfect save for carrying a high balance for a few months due to unavoidable circumstances and a weird student loan from the late 90's that somehow shows up on my EXP score that I don't even remember paying, but it's somehow paid off as of 2013, so that should drop off next year or so.  I have one CC with a CL of $11,000.  No mortgage or auto.

So my scores were TU:762, EQ:760, and EXP: 652.

After some discussion with the banker I decided to apply for the CSP instead of the CSR as he felt it'd be a better chance for approval given my current total CL and the fact that I was pre-approved for it.  Here's where I got information regarding credit pulls, and upgrade opportunities that conflicted with all my research on these cards.

1. I had asked if I can use the same hard pull to apply for the CSP if I was denied for the CSR and he said the system doesn't allow it.  It would be 2 hard pulls in one day.  Most people here an on other forums stated that they were able to just do something similar with one HP.

2.  He mentioned that after 3 months of having the CSP I can request an upgrade to the CSR.  A poster in this thread and others say it's 12 months or more.

Long story short, these two were the main reasons I decided to do CSP.  So he submits the app and it does NOT get approved automatically, but not denied either.  At this point I'm like "oh boy, this blows".

But alas, a happier ending than I ever expected.  He gets off the phone with whomever they call and says, "I have good news and better news:  You were approved, AND since I checked a box that says you plan on upgrading to the CSR, they went ahead and upgraded it and gave you a credit line of $18,900."

Needless to say I was thrilled.

So instead of approving for the CSP they gave you the CSR? Or the upgrade will happen at a later time?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.