cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Grocery Reward Rate from Superstores? Gift Cards?

tag
Jazee
Regular Contributor

Getting Grocery Reward Rate from Superstores? Gift Cards?

I shop for groceries mostly at Fred Meyer in my area.  I saw someone say, you can buy a Kroger/Fred Meyer gift card from QFC and get the grocery rewards rate that way.  Has anyone done that? Does it work?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting Grocery Reward Rate from Superstores? Gift Cards?

I haven't heard of that from QVC.

You can grab those gift cards from from the grocery store while you're there. 

Just mix a few in with your regular groceries here and there. 

Thats what I've done from time to time while shopping at Kroger.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If QFC sells them (they're a Kroger brand so I assume they do) then they would be eligible for rewards as long as the QFC location properly codes as a grocery store.  Do note that some card issuers may frown upon a lot of gift card purchases, and they will likely receive Level III Transactional Data which details what you purchased.  Is there a particular card you are planning to use for grocery rewards?

Message 3 of 7
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

I haven't heard of that from QVC.

You can grab those gift cards from from the grocery store while you're there. 

Just mix a few in with your regular groceries here and there. 

Thats what I've done from time to time while shopping at Kroger.

Did not mean QVC. Lol 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Smiley LOL  It would be less confusing if they just renamed everything to Kroger, but they're not alone in keeping existing brand names after mergers and buyouts.  Giant kept the Stop & Shop name here, and Food Lion and Hannaford among others elsewhere.  Albertson's kept the Shaw's and Star Market names here, Acme and Safeway among others elsewhere.

Kroger Brands: Baker’s, City Market, Dillons, Food 4 Less, Foods Co, Fred Meyer, Fry’s, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, King Soopers, Jay C Food Store, Kroger, Pay-Less Super Markets, QFC, Ralphs, Smith’s Food and Drug.

Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Giant kept the Stop & Shop name here, and Food Lion and Hannaford among others elsewhere.  

Things I learn from the forum!   I had no idea that Hannaford was owned by the owners of Stop and Shop (Delhaize America)   And it's not so very "elsewhere", there is a Hannaford in Waltham (as well as a Stop and Shop).

Message 6 of 7
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Smiley LOL  It would be less confusing if they just renamed everything to Kroger, but they're not alone in keeping existing brand names after mergers and buyouts.  Giant kept the Stop & Shop name here, and Food Lion and Hannaford among others elsewhere.  Albertson's kept the Shaw's and Star Market names here, Acme and Safeway among others elsewhere.

Kroger Brands: Baker’s, City Market, Dillons, Food 4 Less, Foods Co, Fred Meyer, Fry’s, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, King Soopers, Jay C Food Store, Kroger, Pay-Less Super Markets, QFC, Ralphs, Smith’s Food and Drug.

Did not know the extent of the Kroger monopoly. Lol

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.