Did you mean: 

Getting a Macy's card...Advice????

tag
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Getting a Macy's card...Advice????

Hi,

so I recently went on a mini app spree. 

In mid January I got the chase csp and amex bcp. 

i am currently an AU on my moms Macy's card which is horrible. She has a 400 dollar limit and is over her limit. She has also paid late a few times. 

however I love my Macy's card because of the great discounts and I shop there a lot. So what would you advise me to do. 

My game plan so far is getting removed from mothers card then applying myself. Except for I have a few issues with having a new inquiry. 

1. I am afraid it will affect my 61 day cli with amex 

2. I am at my 7th month with nordstroms card, and I was told by nordstroms rep to ask for increase after having the card for 7 months, and I don't want a new inquiry to also affect this.

3. How sensitive is Macy's to inquiries I currently have 5 on equifax, 6 on transunion all of which are from a car lease 6 months ago, and to the best of my knowledge around 5 ish on Experian. 

thanks everyone, you're awesome Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting a Macy's card...Advice????

I think you'll be OK for Macy's.  They pulled EX for me.  Requirements aren't too bad to get the card, but you may want your mom to get herself under the limit on her card if it'ss showing up on your credit or have her take you off as an AU altogether.  

Also, Nordstrom should be a soft on EQ for a CLI.  

Good luck 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 8
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Thanks!

i am definitely planning to get removed from her acct. it makes me sad though because that was showing as my oldest acct, oh well...

Do you think having asked for new credit will affect me when I ask for cli from amex? I mean I don't really need the extra credit. Would just love to be past 10,000 mark Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Macys is really sensitive to scores and the over 100% utilisation on your mothers card is probably hurting yours. An inquiry is not that big of a deal, in my experience. They approved me for the American Express version with about 10 or more inquiries on Experian that were only one month old when they saw them. I had tons of inquiries when I applied for another American Express card and inquiries didn't stop me from getting it. I have no experience with Nordstroms so cannot help you there.

If you want to be considered for the American Express version as well, I believe you have to do the application in the store.

Message 4 of 8
colindidit
Established Contributor

Yes the Macy Amex is in store only and it sounds like I could get that lol. I don't like that place , but my fiancée does.
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 5 of 8
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

First, ask your mom to take you off her account, wait for the account to be off your reports, that'll increase your changes of getting approved...I'd say you're good getting the store version and after 6 months or a year you can call Macys or chat through their website and ask for an "upgrade" (technically it's not an upgrade, you'll most likely get another hard inquiry on your Exp report and a new account will be created) to the Amex version if you like... Oh another thing that i wanna add is that Macys is fast to report to the CRA's my first billing statement was only two days and two days after that my account was showing up on Experian and like two or three days on Equifax and transunion....Good luck!!!
Message 6 of 8
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Hi thanks so much you guys.

so what I have decided is that I will wait to get cli on nordstroms this month, then apply for Macy's and ask for cli from amex on the same day next month 

having to wait longer but I think it's probably the safer route

Message 7 of 8
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

PLEASE let us know when you get approved for Macys AMEX. Youll forsure get the store version my sister got he rmacys with a $300 CL and she barely had a 2 brand new month old acct. KEEP US POSTED!! and good luck!!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.