cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting approvals, but how aggressive should i be?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Getting approvals, but how aggressive should i be?

Good advice from everyone, and good luck on the NFCU application.

I agree you are best to wait on any other apps, the CapOne and Citi DC are good cards to have for now.

The Citi card will likely be able to do SP CLI after a few months. Check back on your online account, follow the Account Management link, there is a Request a Credit Line Increase link. If the language is "A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will recieve an instant decision" then it will be a SP request. There is a time gap after you make such a request, before you should try again, like several months, but it is available to check whether that $1k DC can grow.

As to the APR rate? I would not use that as a criteria to close accounts. Credit One deserves to be closed for other reasons, but the Cap One and Citi accounts should probably be with you forever. After a year or so, you can try chat with Citi to see about lowering the APR, that sometimes works. Capital One, to my understanding, does not lower the APR on existing cards.

Regarding your next card, early next year. I would strongly suggest putting the Chase Freedom card at the top of the list. The 5% rotating categories are useful, and with Chase 5/24 rule you want to get the card before you get app crazy and go over 5/24 Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 31 of 32
jonfive
Established Member

Re: Getting approvals, but how aggressive should i be?

@NRB525 wrote:

Good advice from everyone, and good luck on the NFCU application.

I agree you are best to wait on any other apps, the CapOne and Citi DC are good cards to have for now.

The Citi card will likely be able to do SP CLI after a few months. Check back on your online account, follow the Account Management link, there is a Request a Credit Line Increase link. If the language is "A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will recieve an instant decision" then it will be a SP request. There is a time gap after you make such a request, before you should try again, like several months, but it is available to check whether that $1k DC can grow.

As to the APR rate? I would not use that as a criteria to close accounts. Credit One deserves to be closed for other reasons, but the Cap One and Citi accounts should probably be with you forever. After a year or so, you can try chat with Citi to see about lowering the APR, that sometimes works. Capital One, to my understanding, does not lower the APR on existing cards.

Regarding your next card, early next year. I would strongly suggest putting the Chase Freedom card at the top of the list. The 5% rotating categories are useful, and with Chase 5/24 rule you want to get the card before you get app crazy and go over 5/24 Smiley Wink

Thank you for the information, good to know that citi can lower apr. You're right with Cap1, the apr is for the life of the card.

I've seen nothing but thumbs up for CF - definitely one of my next choices 

Synchrony Amazon: 1500 | Synchrony Mavis Tire: 1900 | Chase Amazon: 2200 | Citi Doublecash (1): 500 | Citi Doublecash (2): 1000 | BestBuy: 3000 | Credit One: 2900 (closing) | Capital One Platinum: 1800 | Amex Blue: 2500 | NFCU CashRewards: 5000 | NFCU CLOC: 6000 | Paypal Credit: 2000 | Ikea: 2200 | Wellsfargo Microcenter: 1900
Message 32 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.