Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting back into Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting back into Chase

Weird story, but I had all my personal and business accounts with Chase from 2004 - 2010.  Unfortunately, a family member was being investigated by a government entity and they closed my accounts all becuase he was a distant family member.  Well, all but my JP Morgan credit card that I received from my private banker.  Anyways, even though I had and still have nothing to do with this family member, they closed all my accounts and listed on my credit report unsatisfactory relationship.  I receive offers from Chase all the time, but I am concerned that they will see that they closed my account because of this and not only deny me of any new bank or credit card account, but I'd lose my JP Morgan account (and status as well).  When I talked to my banker at JPM, he told me Chase and JPM are too separate entities and have different rules.  We went all the way up to Jamie Dimon's office, but they wouldn't reopen my account.  However, they did release my funds via bank wire the next day to my Citibank account.

I'd love to get back with Chase, but just scared.  Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Getting back into Chase

That is the suck, OP. I would go in branch and try to open a checking or savings account. If that works, great! Toss money in there and wait for some green check marks for the credit cards. If it doesn't then you know you'll still on their internal blacklist, unfortunately. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't say I would be enthusiastic about wanting to open accounts with a lender that screwed me over based on a distant relationship.

Message 3 of 13
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Weird story, but I had all my personal and business accounts with Chase from 2004 - 2010.  Unfortunately, a family member was being investigated by a government entity and they closed my accounts all becuase he was a distant family member. 

I don't mean to sidetrack this post, but my interest has been piqued. Do you have any clue as to how they tied you to a distant relative?

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^ my question, too.
Message 5 of 13
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Were there any banking transactions between you and your distant relative?  How distant is this relative... first cousin, second cousin, 19th cousin?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure aside from the fact the they checked every family member's credit and we've all lost our accounts.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Step-brother, haven't talk to in years.  No.  I have and had zero relationship with him.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'd follow one person's advice here and just go into a branch, open up a bank account, and start there.

I was denied for CSR early last month.  (post on that and the fun new recon procedures they seem to have put is avail here: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/New-Chase-Recon-Policy-No-rep-shopping-CSR...

After going through their (new? different?) recon procedure, was approved, and nearly certain that approval was due to opening and (minimally) funding accounts with them.

Message 9 of 13
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

My experience with them is they like to see an internal track (payment) record as well as your credit reports. They also seem to favor  people with lower utilizations versus limits and fewer inquiries. As with any CC issuer, a relationship takes time to build. Good luck in your journey, I can assure you with on time payments, a positive credit file, and keeping your utilization numbers on all cards in check that you will have no problems obtaining the credit products you need. A final point to ponder, apply only for cards that fit your personal life style and that you will use.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.