Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting brave w/ Amex spending ability

tag
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Getting brave w/ Amex spending ability

As much as the Amex charge "check spending ability" button is feared for FR implications, it can also be very useful. Looking at an engagement ring, I put in $5k and was approved. Typical charges have averaged around $1.3k per month.

Just wondering how brave some of you have been, particularly in relation to average monthly spend on the card. At 4x, I sort of feel like I was pushing it a little.
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Getting brave w/ Amex spending ability

I was declined for 1,000,000. Approved for 60,000.

Max on card was 10,000.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 40
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I was approved for 10k on both Green and GoldPR. They are both canceled now
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 40
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

I've been approved for up to 7500-8000 on the Zync even though I barely use the card. Average monthly spend is only about $100 of which most are recurring charges.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 4 of 40
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

The "check spending ability" button is always mysterious and fascinating. Given how often amex SPs its members, I'm sure your current util % is a factor; while you might get approved for a 10K purchase if you have plenty of available credit, you might not if you've maxed out $25K in revolvers.

I tested my limits a little the first few months after I got my Zync. I was approved for $8K, and I never went any higher than that. My biggest balance ever was about $3500, and I don't imagine I'll have a balance that high very often. I always pay the same day my statement cuts, if that makes a difference. Now that I've got 7 months of cardmembership under my belt, I might test the waters a little bit, just out of curiosity.
Message 5 of 40
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Seeing all these responses makes me tempted to go back in tonight and try $10k out of curiosity.
Message 6 of 40
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Several months after I got my Plat. I used the button. I needed to make a purchase for a bit over 20k and it was nice to know they would (and did) approve it. Previously the max I charged was 4k at any one time and was averaging about 7k/mo but I hadn't had the card very long so it seemed prudent to check first.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 7 of 40
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:
The "check spending ability" button is always mysterious and fascinating. Given how often amex SPs its members, I'm sure your current util % is a factor; while you might get approved for a 10K purchase if you have plenty of available credit, you might not if you've maxed out $25K in revolvers.

I tested my limits a little the first few months after I got my Zync. I was approved for $8K, and I never went any higher than that. My biggest balance ever was about $3500, and I don't imagine I'll have a balance that high very often. I always pay the same day my statement cuts, if that makes a difference. Now that I've got 7 months of cardmembership under my belt, I might test the waters a little bit, just out of curiosity.

I'm at 5 months of cardmembership and have been using this as my daily.  While the ring caused me to test $5k, curiosity caused me to test $10k (approved).  Now I really am just curious where my internal limit is, but I'm too afraid of poking the bear to try again right now. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 40
nickn86
Contributor

Are there any confirmed stories of anyone getting an FR as a result of using this feature?

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 9 of 40
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

No.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.