Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting brave w/ Amex spending ability

tag
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Re: Getting brave w/ Amex spending ability

I want to press the button! However, I fear that darn button!!

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 21 of 40
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

personally don't care what it is, so I've never touched it.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 22 of 40
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

What does FR stand for?

i just got the Platinum and was tempted to check the spending ability but changed my mind. 

Message 23 of 40
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@Aspireto850 wrote:

What does FR stand for?

i just got the Platinum and was tempted to check the spending ability but changed my mind. 

Financial review:

In a few months they may invite you to register your card as a revolver on specified charges.

In that letter they will disclose the amount you can revolve on the card.  My letter stated that your revolving charges can not exceed 35K.

Message 24 of 40
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@pdog661 wrote:

@Aspireto850 wrote:

What does FR stand for?

Financial review:

In a few months they may invite you to register your card as a revolver on specified charges.

In that letter they will disclose the amount you can revolve on the card.  My letter stated that your revolving charges can not exceed 35K.

Mine did to, i don't think they would actually let me charge 35k though! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 25 of 40
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@pdog661 wrote:

@Aspireto850 wrote:

What does FR stand for?

Financial review:

Mine did to, i don't think they would actually let me charge 35k though! 

Yup my biz green card got the same treatment; its now a charge card revolver Smiley Very Happy

And my Zync goes up to 15K for spending ability which is nice

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 26 of 40
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I think the up to $35K bit is just part of the terms of the Pay Over TIme or Extended Pay feature.  I don't think that is related to your spending ability.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 40
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

so are you saying that there is a possible of Amex doing a F R(financial review) if I check the spending ability button and they could convert my charge card to a revolver without my request? Or are you saying they could add revolver privileges to the charge card?

thanks

Message 28 of 40
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Aspireto850 wrote:

so are you saying that there is a possible of Amex doing a F R(financial review) if I check the spending ability button and they could convert my charge card to a revolver without my request? Or are you saying they could add revolver privileges to the charge card?

thanks

It is possible to trigger a FR at anytime including playing with the spending ability button.

The pay over time was offered to me and its still technically a charge card and reports as a charge card. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 29 of 40
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Aspireto850 wrote:

thanks

the did NOT convert your charge card to a revolver.  after you have had a revolver for a while they will allow you to revolve a charge if necessary...  DO NOT do this unless it is last resprt for 1. the interest rate is pretty high  2. there have been reports that AMEX will close your account if you do this often.

also not all charges are available for Pay Over Time, only larger ones.  

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.