Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting in with Citi

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting in with Citi

How hard is the DC to get? Is it possible to get one as only say a fourth card with a year of history?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting in with Citi

Sorry, meant to post this in the existing DoubleCash thread, but the question stands. What does Citi typically require?
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the DC as my 4th card, with my oldest card bei g about 3-4 months old. I have a clean file however, and had a pre-approval before applying. . Hope that helps you
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bubba, yes that does help! Thank you. I have two cards right now with the oldest being six months old. So we're in fairly similar situations and my file is clean. Maybe I'll go for this instead of Chase Freedom.
Message 4 of 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Check their preapprovals. If they give you a preapproval / prequalify and a fix interest rate your chances are very good. YMMV!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The minimum SL is $500, so you don't need to show a history with $5k CLs or anything like that.

Citi often doesn't like to see very recent inquiries. If you got your second card within the last week or two, then wait a little bit.

You might also consider apping for something with a nice bonus, then PCing to Double Cash later on.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my second card three months ago and have had no inquiries since then. Is that long enough of a wait?
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked for pre-qual offers and they "could not match me with any pre-qualification offers". Guess I'll be waiting awhile.
Message 8 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just checked for pre-qual offers and they "could not match me with any pre-qualification offers". Guess I'll be waiting awhile.

Well, it's your call, but the lack of a pre-qual offer from Citi does not necessarily mean your odds are bad.

Waiting three months since your last inquiry/application is plenty of time to avoid that particular obstacle.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 4 inquiries all less than 3 months old when i applied, but I only applied for Citi because of the prequal. I would wait if I were in your shoes
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.