cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting in with amex with low score?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Getting in with amex with low score?

Message 11 of 21
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Not a snowball's chance in hell with thos scores. You'll need 2-3 steps before you're ready for an Amex.

The first step would be to get a secured card or two, and get your scores up.

Then you'll need to graduate those cards, and perhaps get some non-secured cards that will grow with you through other lenders such as GE.

After that you can look at prime cards.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 21
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

J- I hate to sound like a downer, but at this point with those scores, I would rather find it unlikely and nothing short of a miracle if they were to ever approve you. Amex and Chase are notoriously know for being very BK unfriendly, especially if you have burned them too. Right now, just concentrate on establishing a good record of payment, give it a year or two and let your scores recover. After that, once everything is aged decently and your scores start hitting 670+, then you can try for prime cards. Right now, I don't personally is a good time for you and I would just concentrate in getting back in the good graces of your creditors and in no time you will have prime cards again. Like I learned in this community, it takes a long time to build your credit and to keep it as good as it can be. Good luck on whatever path you choose to follow. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 13 of 21
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Back in 2011 I was declined for a "prescreened Amex gold" Instant denial with an EQ FICO of 707. At the time I had 2.5 years of history with a Citi and WF card but older PR and a couple CAs likely killed it.  They obviously don't do a good job prescreening.

Got a Plat Amex a little over a year ago and it's a real workhorse. Give it time, You;ll get there.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 14 of 21
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Don't lose sight of an AMEX, if that's what you want...in the future.  But right now, you're just not quite there yet. 

Heed the advice of others here, take some small steps and bigger results will come your way.  The journey takes time. 

ONWARD AND UPWARD ! ! !

Message 15 of 21
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I guess I should've worded that differently. What I meant was, do Discover, chase, amex have a secured card that people can start out with, that is easy to be approved for. I have two unsecured cards at the moment(I think I mentioned that, but I havent gone back to read my original post) an nfcu nrewards $2500 limit and cap one $750. Also a cap one secured $200 that I got a month before the unsecured. So I guess I'm just wondering, since I already have two unsecured cards, is it even worth it to put money into just any secured card? Is it taking astep backwards? Or is it worth it, with the right lender? Maybe these are dumb questions. I'm just curious.
Message 16 of 21
HiLine
Blogger

@jdirilo wrote:
I guess I should've worded that differently. What I meant was, do Discover, chase, amex have a secured card that people can start out with, that is easy to be approved for. I have two unsecured cards at the moment(I think I mentioned that, but I havent gone back to read my original post) an nfcu nrewards $2500 limit and cap one $750. Also a cap one secured $200 that I got a month before the unsecured. So I guess I'm just wondering, since I already have two unsecured cards, is it even worth it to put money into just any secured card? Is it taking astep backwards? Or is it worth it, with the right lender? Maybe these are dumb questions. I'm just curious.

Discover is very easy to get into. Amex and Chase are premier lenders that are known to be rather picky. Chase especially doesn't have much tolerance for credit profiles less than 1 year of age. You already have a $2,500 limit; you won't need more. If you've been building credit for more than half a year you could try your luck with one of the easier Amex: Delta Airlines Gold, Hilton HHonors, Green charge, Gold charge, Gold Premier Rewards charge.

Message 17 of 21
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Im 26 and I believe my aaoa is around 5 years, though I could be wrong. My cc's are all 6+ months old. I know I don't need any new credit right now, I was just wondering if its possible to get a foot in the door with any of these guys, for the future. Maybe get a secured card with one, or something with a small limit, use it for a year and try to get something bigger and better thru them. That's all...
Message 18 of 21
toppers555
Established Contributor

Also check your chexsystem report . if you have any baddies on there , it pretty much a dragger with Amex. I think I barely made it in back in jan because I had recently open a simplycash card they had been trying to lure me in with for months. A week later after I applied for a BCE , and was apporved. the prepaid card I have with them could have helped, but really is no way to prove it.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 19 of 21
HiLine
Blogger

@jdirilo wrote:
Im 26 and I believe my aaoa is around 5 years, though I could be wrong. My cc's are all 6+ months old. I know I don't need any new credit right now, I was just wondering if its possible to get a foot in the door with any of these guys, for the future. Maybe get a secured card with one, or something with a small limit, use it for a year and try to get something bigger and better thru them. That's all...

I was talking about when you build back up your credit history. I don't think you'll need another card for building purposes, but I guess getting a secured card with a high limit may help you be able to put large charges on your card.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.