Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting super annoyed with Amex...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting super annoyed with Amex...

I don't get AMEX at all sometimes lol.  I've told this story on another thread or two, but the BCP was my second CC behind my Discover It card that I had for 9 months prior.  I apped when I had a score just shy of 750 and I had 60+% utilization on my Discover It card.  At the time I was making around 18k a year so when I apped, I said I made 20k.  I got a message saying they needed to review and to give them 7-10 days (Maybe it was 7-14, I can't remember).  Then I got another email within seconds stating that I was approved for a 15k SL.

Then I read these threads where people are getting low SLs with higher overall income and higher scores than me.  I just don't get it.

Message 21 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'm in a similar situation, but mine is a bit more transparent... I included an Amex account in bankruptcy back in 2000.  They approved me for a Green card and a BCP last year, with the BCP limit being $1k and they've turned me down for a CLI repeatedly due to "... previous negative experience with an American Express account."

That much I understand, but here's where things get weird... just before closing my Green card in March, I tried the 'Spending Ability' link just for grins and it said I was 'clear' for a $2500 charge (keep in mind it would have to be PIF the next month).

Fast-forward to May, I tried again for a CLI on my BCP - again, denied for the same reason.  That very same day, I applied and was approved for a Delta Gold and PRG.  The Delta Gold SL is - you guess it - $1k.  Smiley Frustrated

After 13 months I plan to transfer $500 of my Delta Gold limit over to my BCP which will help it out a little, but like it has already been suggested I have relegated the BCP as my 'grocery store card' and I'm really not too bothered about CLIs any longer.  I would like the limit to be a little higher since it appears I'm at 50% utilization each month even though I PIF, but I've simply 'accepted' that I'll have a perpetual 'dip' in my scores due to that (likely very minor anyway). 

It seems Amex can't give out CLIs fast enough to some people, and others they give just enough to let us in the door.  In my own case I am truly happy they decided to give me another chance (they didn't have to), and I understand how others here may feel as well.  I'll also say that some lenders simply like certain type profiles over others; for example, Discover seems to like my profile, yet others with seemingly better stats than mine can't even get in the door.  Sometimes it seems to make little sense. 

Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone for all your input. It definitely seems I'm not alone in being frustrated with Amex's sometimes counter-intuitive underwriting!

Message 23 of 32
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Yep not too happy with AMEX these days after having the skymiles ($6k CL) card for 2 years,  decided it was time to move my CL to my BCP card and close the delta card, no longer fly Delta after they tried to strand my son a 1000 miles away from home because of a winterstorm closed the airport, it wasn't untill we contacted customer service was he given a hotel voucher and rebooked on a flight the next morning.

I have been a AMEX member since 2011, 5 years now.  4 personal  cards,  Delta Gold, HHonors suprass, BCP and ZYNC and a Corp Green card.  No lates or anything on any AMEX or other card. No Derogs on my credit report,  747 EX.  18% UTL, yes its a bit high, but no card over 50% most are below 30%. Many are 0 balance.  My BCP is around $2000/$15000CL  utilizing the 5.99% APR i was granted ofr 12 months.  86K Income reported, actual will be over $100k thanks to OT but not sure it will continue year after year.   CL rellocate denied excessive utilization.  Now I get to keep the Delta card untill i pay down the UTL don't want to take the hit from the loss of 6k in credit.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 24 of 32
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

My personal experience has been that if AMEX decides to start with a $1k limit (as it did with my BCE back in Dec 2013), it's very likely that they'll not budge on a CLI for close to a year. You might as well wait for an auto CLI. I got one just before the 10 month statement. $1k became $2k.

Once the statement was out, I hit the 3X button and got it to $6k. Two more rounds and it's at $25k. 

A $1k limit, for whatever reason, means that AMEX isn't super fond of your credit file. Let it warm up by itself. AMEX does an SP almost every hour (or so it would seem looking at the EX pulls) so it'd be the best judge of when your credit is "up to par" according to them.

I have lots of other beef with AMEX, especially with its pathetic rewards (or cashback) monitor that's broken for more than 5 months now. But its UW gets into shape if you give it enough time.

And no, 6 months is not enough time. 

Message 25 of 32
joltdude
Senior Contributor

A 1K amex approval is akin to a 500$ chase approval... Its gonna be a long time before seeing that raised...

Basically its almost like being given an Optima recovery card.....

-J

Message 26 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

My personal experience has been that if AMEX decides to start with a $1k limit (as it did with my BCE back in Dec 2013), it's very likely that they'll not budge on a CLI for close to a year. You might as well wait for an auto CLI. I got one just before the 10 month statement. $1k became $2k.

Once the statement was out, I hit the 3X button and got it to $6k. Two more rounds and it's at $25k. 

A $1k limit, for whatever reason, means that AMEX isn't super fond of your credit file. Let it warm up by itself. AMEX does an SP almost every hour (or so it would seem looking at the EX pulls) so it'd be the best judge of when your credit is "up to par" according to them.

I have lots of other beef with AMEX, especially with its pathetic rewards (or cashback) monitor that's broken for more than 5 months now. But its UW gets into shape if you give it enough time.

And no, 6 months is not enough time. 

I don't know if there is an fixed policy by amex , i started off with really low limit for amex bcp originally.  It was $1000 if i remember correctly but i patiently did my sp cli every few months, and now i have an very respectable 5 digit limit on that card. I think you just have to be patient. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@disdreamin wrote:

I had a Delta card with a $30k spending limit and when I applied for the BCP they gave me $2k. Trying recon and no-go. I had to reallocate some of my CL to the BCP to be able to use it without worrying about going over the limit! At this point, it has grown, but it took more than a year and two sp CLIs (oh, and a 4506t request that I declined to honor). So yeah, they can be weird and stingy. Smiley Very Happy

What happened when you declined to provide the 4506T?

Message 28 of 32
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Ironically, nothing happened for having ignored the 4506t request. That was last year and I just did a CLI on my BCP last week and it was instantly approved.
Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't get AMEX at all sometimes lol.  I've told this story on another thread or two, but the BCP was my second CC behind my Discover It card that I had for 9 months prior.  I apped when I had a score just shy of 750 and I had 60+% utilization on my Discover It card.  At the time I was making around 18k a year so when I apped, I said I made 20k.  I got a message saying they needed to review and to give them 7-10 days (Maybe it was 7-14, I can't remember).  Then I got another email within seconds stating that I was approved for a 15k SL.

Then I read these threads where people are getting low SLs with higher overall income and higher scores than me.  I just don't get it.

Amex system was hoping u will transfer the discover balance over to their card

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.