Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the most out of my annual fee

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting the most out of my annual fee

Over the summer I opened an Indigo and CreditOne.  Together they comprise roughly 20% of my credit limit and my total limit is still low in comparison to my monthly spend.  After my PenFed approval I have decided to get rid of at least the Indigo, since it is the lower CL of the two.  I am wondering if there is any benefit to keeping it open until the summer to develop a longer payment history before i close it.  I currently have a $0 balance on it and leave it in the sock drawer.  Any guidance on how to milk the most out of this card to help my credit score long term before I call and split ways with them?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Getting the most out of my annual fee

If you're paying any type of fee other than an annual one, dump it now.  If there's an AF but no other fees, I'd wait until closer to AF time just to get more green check marks on your reports.  With your limits, I can see that trying to actually use the cards without making multiple payments per month will be challening for a bit until they grow.  If you had the ED or EDP instead of the BCP, I'd suggest grabbing a charge card from Amex to cover your actual daily spend while waiting for the revolvers to grow.  Still an option, of course, but then you're dealing with multiple types of rewards.  What's the story with the Credit One?  Are you also planning to get that one out, too?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to drop CreditOne before the AF is due as well. I should be able to get enough CLI on my BCP or PenFed prior to June to get out of both without hurting my available number too terribly. Are green check marks with spend better than those without? I could always charge one meal a month to those cards to show some spend/pay.
Message 3 of 4
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Banks prefer to see high spend on your cards if they're considering you for a limit increase or new account.

Your scores, however, do not. A green check mark is a green check mark as far as the big three are concerned.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.