cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift card fraud

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Gift card fraud

A family member gave me an amazon gift card for christmas. I got to redeem it and it looks like someone stole the code and replaced the scratch off with a different one which isn't even the correct set of numbers. I contacted amazon and they can't tell me anything based on the serial number. I am waiting to hear back from my relative but it seems they probably bought it in a store. So my question is if they bought an amazon gift card in a store with a credit card and it turns out it was tampered with are they able to dispute the charge? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

Re: Gift card fraud

@red259 wrote:

A family member gave me an amazon gift card for christmas. I got to redeem it and it looks like someone stole the code and replaced the scratch off with a different one which isn't even the correct set of numbers. I contacted amazon and they can't tell me anything based on the serial number. I am waiting to hear back from my relative but it seems they probably bought it in a store. So my question is if they bought an amazon gift card in a store with a credit card and it turns out it was tampered with are they able to dispute the charge? 

Some people do this with V/MC cards (although die-hard MSers tell them to eat the loss!).  The problem is too many moving parts, involving the credit card company, the store and the gift card issuer.   If the relative has the receipt and the proof of activation, he/she can probably get a refund directly from the gift card issuer.   Otherwise try to dispute, but it might take a while

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Valued Member

Hey I work for Amazon, you can call Customer Service and explain the situation and ask to have your GC reissued. Give them the serial number and any other info from the reciept that your family memebr has and from the card. There will have to be an "investigation" started but it typically results in a new GC being issued to your relative email or your email depending on what you request.  Best of luck to you and Happy New Year.

Joined MyFico 10/1/16: EQ: 638 TU: 688 EX: 632
1 Baddie Procollect $4588 falling off 11/17!!! CK: TU-668 EQ-680 NFCU CashRewards Visa $7500 | Chase DisneyVisa $2500 | NFCU CLOC $15K | Discover It $1200| Amazon Prime $2000| Chase Amazon $500 | Cap1 QS $1100 | Walmart $3500 | BOA Sec $500 | JCPenney $1800 | Amex BCE $500|Amex Hilton $1000| VS $550 | FingerHut $300| NFCU Flagship $15K| Costco Citi $5500 | Children's Place $500
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

In theory, you should go back to the store where it was purchased since it has no value. The issuer (Amazon) does not really have anything to do with it.

But if you can get Amazon to honor it, it is another (goodwill) story. And you do not need to go back to your relative for it. 

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@red259 wrote:

In theory, you should go back to the store where it was purchased since it has no value. The issuer (Amazon) does not really have anything to do with it.

But if you can get Amazon to honor it, it is another (goodwill) story. And you do not need to go back to your relative for it. 

Well, presumably needs to ask the relative which store the card was purchased from, and I would very much assume a receipt is required.   I can always use up a gift card and take it back to the store and say "It doesn't work, look the balance shows as 0" so an investigation process is going to be required, which the store cannot do alone.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.