Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give Capital One some Credit

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Give Capital One some Credit

@KingAdrock wrote:

I think the big issue is that if Cap1 just made a few small changes, they'd change from a decent company to a great one. They gave me a card with no AF when I had no credit and no job. I'm thankful to them for that. But now that I make good money and have tens of thousands in credit limits, that rebuilder card is still just sitting there. It has the highest APR and the lowest CL of all my cards (including the Best Buy store card that I used to have) but they won't do anything with it. CL is apperantly capped off and I can't PC to anything remotely worthwhile. So it just sits in the sockdrawer and it likely will forever, only to come out once in blue moon to keep it active.

My simple issue with Cap1 is that I'd be willing to give them more business if they'd grow with me... but they just don't seem interested.

Their illogic can be frustrating. Smiley Sad

But for whatever reason, they've made the decision not to do this. My guess (completely out of my own fevered brain; no evidence to support this) is that they make good money off the rebuilder cards via AF's when they have them, carrying of balances-->paying interest, and naughtiness fees for late payments or going OTL.

If they find more value in targeting people with shakier credit, then that's what they're going to do. It's their business model.

Meanwhile, they still have those few tantalizing "good" cards. They keep mailing me stuff, but I'm not allowing three hards, no matter what. That's ridiculous on their part. They could hard on one, approve you, immediately do full softs on the other two, and bounce you right on out of there if they don't like what they see.

Alas, they've never asked my opinion. Smiley Very Happy

eta: btw, I'm certainly not saying that everyone with a rebuilder CapOne carries balances, goes OTL, and incurs late fees. Overall though, they're probably more likely to do so while creating new financial habits. Most of us do fall down a time or two more after resolving to change our ways.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 41 of 61
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Something I'm surprised it seems people are missing about how Cap 1 does business and why they don't change.  That would be the cost of change. It's not like a company that size can change a division on a whim. It costs a small fortune to change the methodology, train the people to handle it, and then there's the inherent risk of that change, one being, going up against a competitor you've never experienced before. Cap 1 is unique in it's business model. It works because they stick too it. When people leave for better CCC with higher CLs, there are 5 customers waiting to take each ex-customers place.

No other CCC works exactly like Cap 1, and that's why they make good money. To risk that would be a bad business decision being they have their niche rather sewn up and locked in. AMEX is even trying to dip into Cap 1's customer demographic (Zync and the Hard limit auto pay option).

Proof that Cap 1 knows what it's doing as far as getting and keeping customers (long enough to make money from them) is that the majority of people on this forum have or still do have at least one of Cap 1's cards. And Cap 1's demographic is growing MUCH faster than AMEX's, Discovers OR any other prime issuers due to the economy. I'd say they're doing things right in order to maintain their market share in a niche they discovered and figured out how to cater to it. That's why I say they're a stepping stone, and they're happy to be primarily that.

If the soup sells well, don't change the recipe, you'll go broke. Everybody else is selling sandwiches, wraps and BBQs and you're the only one selling great soup, I wouldn't try to invade their market, I'd just keep selling the soup no one else seems to sell.  Smiley Wink

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 42 of 61
namvet
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Something I'm surprised it seems people are missing about how Cap 1 does business and why they don't change.  That would be the cost of change. It's not like a company that size can change a division on a whim. It costs a small fortune to change the methodology, train the people to handle it, and then there's the inherent risk of that change, one being, going up against a competitor you've never experienced before. Cap 1 is unique in it's business model. It works because they stick too it. When people leave for better CCC with higher CLs, there are 5 customers waiting to take each ex-customers place.

No other CCC works exactly like Cap 1, and that's why they make good money. To risk that would be a bad business decision being they have their niche rather sewn up and locked in. AMEX is even trying to dip into Cap 1's customer demographic (Zync and the Hard limit auto pay option).

Proof that Cap 1 knows what it's doing as far as getting and keeping customers (long enough to make money from them) is that the majority of people on this forum have or still do have at least one of Cap 1's cards. And Cap 1's demographic is growing MUCH faster than AMEX's, Discovers OR any other prime issuers due to the economy. I'd say they're doing things right in order to maintain their market share in a niche they discovered and figured out how to cater to it. That's why I say they're a stepping stone, and they're happy to be primarily that.

If the soup sells well, don't change the recipe, you'll go broke. Everybody else is selling sandwiches, wraps and BBQs and you're the only one selling great soup, I wouldn't try to invade their market, I'd just keep selling the soup no one else seems to sell.  Smiley Wink    +1   Don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Message 43 of 61
RyVision
Valued Contributor

For anyone interested in why they're doing it like they do. This is a great little article about 3 well known CCCs. Amex, Discover, and Cap 1.   Cap 1 is venturing out (no pun really intended lol) and seems they're doing so carefully (can't say I blame them).

http://beta.fool.com/iumfool/2012/01/28/3-credit-card-stocks-big-upside-potential/1371/?source=eogyh...

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 44 of 61
namvet
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

For anyone interested in why they're doing it like they do. This is a great little article about 3 well known CCCs. Amex, Discover, and Cap 1.   Cap 1 is venturing out (no pun really intended lol) and seems they're doing so carefully (can't say I blame them).

http://beta.fool.com/iumfool/2012/01/28/3-credit-card-stocks-big-upside-potential/1371/?source=eogyh...

Confirmed!  Cap One does know what they are doing!  Haven't seen this article...thanks for sharing Ryvision!  
Message 45 of 61
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

I find it somewhat amusing how Capital One is constantly belittled on this forum for their low (toy) credit limits and lack of CLI’s for their rebuilding cards. It seems to me that Capital One offers the rebuilding community a lot of service without taking advantage of their most vulnerable customers.

Capital One “specializes” in sub-prime credit cards, I think it's something like 50% of their credit card business, yet they offer moderate interest rates and annual fees compared to other sub-prime lenders such as Credit One or First Premier. I understand that 19.99 % interest is not great, but it’s a lot less than other sub-prime lenders and a lot less than “store cards” such as those backed by GERCB.  Of course if you pay in full every month there is no interest charged and most of the rebuilder cards offer 6 to 9 months of “zero percent” as an introduction teaser.  

The funny thing is, if you look at Capital One’s financials (NYSE COF) you’ll notice that their charge off and 30 day late rates from credit card operations are less than the over all industry average. Yet, Capital One mainly deals with the “high risk” part of the credit card market.

In my opinion, if you need a rebuilder card or a student card to start or reestablish your credit history, you can do a lot worse than Capital One. Use them for what they offer, just don’t expect them to be more than what they are, because by using them they have helped you graduate from sub-prime. Once they no longer fit your needs for credit products move on, but don’t blame Capital One because “you” changed, they didn’t. I also think their "steps program" is brilliant in concept, increase privilege with increased risk.

Note that I don’t work for Capital One, nor do I own any stock in the company. I just think they should be shown some respect on these boards. It will be interesting to see how/what things change once they fully acquire HSBC and the Orchard Bank sub-prime business.

NYSE - COF

Capital One Form 8-K dated Jan 19, 2012

Charge off results for Capital One Credit Cards

Q4 2011 2.79%
Q3 2011 2.62%
Q2 2011 3.03%
Q1 2011 3.82%
Q4 2010 4.65%

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/displayfilinginfo.aspx?filingid=8344346&tabindex=2&type=html

Moody's: US credit card charge-offs slip lower, delinquencies steady

New York, November 21, 2011 -- US Credit card charge-offs fell six basis points in October to 5.21%, according to Moody's Credit Card Indices, which is the lowest level for charge-offs since 2007. Moody's expects charge-offs to continue to decline well into 2012, pushing the rate to below 4% by the end of that year.

http://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-US-credit-card-charge-offs-slip-lower-delinquencies-steady--PR...

I give them all the respect they've earned.

They have their place, but once you get into prime terrority, let's be honest, there isn't much use for them. Once you get better, they should be dumped as they have terrible CS no CLIs and about all they have to recommend them is a decent rewards program and no foreign transaction fee. But they don't much seem to want prime business in the first place so I doubt they really care about getting ditched when you get better.

I just don't see any real reason to toot their horn, frankly they are overall cards that will NEVER EVER grow with you, there is more of a chance of the sun rising in the west than that happening. If you're cool with that, no problem, if not, they aren't a company you are going to like.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 46 of 61
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

When I am realistic about what Capital One is for me, then I love the company.  When I was approved for two of their cards 4 years ago, I was was  happy - even felt honored - to get cards that were not Orchard or First Premier.  I had no annual fees on my accounts, and except for one instance, their CSRs have always been very nice and professional.  In 2008 they often sent out letters to customers telling them that if they called up using so and so phrase, such as, "I want to make C1 my primary card," they would get a CLI.  People would share the phrases or codes or whatever in the forums and others would call up and get CLI.  It is how I received a $300 CLI even before ever receiving my first $500 Credit Steps increase.

Both my Visa and MC were Credit Steps cards and within in a year, my Visa went from $500 to $1800, my MC from $500 to a $1000, as opposed to $1500 because supposedly I missed a payment or went over my limit.  Since I had gotten regular increases, especially on the Visa, during that first year, I thought the increases would continue.  They did not, and that is when the frustration set in. 

Nearly 4 years later the Visa was still at $1800, and I got the same responses when I asked about the prospect of a CLI.  What bothered me was that I had done all the things they had asked me to do to show credit worthiness and responsible management of the cards.  Interestingly, it was during my third year of having these cards that I got an increase on the MC - the card I supposedly had a baddie on.  I went from $1000 last year to $4000, but then they took back some of the increase because they said I was only supposed to get increased to $2500.  That card still sits at $3350 since last December.  And I do realize that for a Cap 1 card, this is a good limit.

It seems to be feast or fammine with them.  To have gotten $1300 in CLI in under a year had me convinced that the Visa would continue to grow with me.  I had not thought of EVER closing my Cap 1 cards.  This was not an issue of prime vs. subprime, but of an expectaiton I had based on my early experiences with them.  Since I do not need or want a pocket full of credit cards, I decided to close the Visa, feeling like there really was nowhere to go with it.   I was told that my MC has reached its max CL, which is disappointing to me, because I certainly would not mind staying with this company for many years, but I would like some incentive to do so.  Every now and then, they will give me a reduced APR offer, whiich is nice.  And still, I know that I have received more in CLs than people who have had their cards longer than I have and/or have better scores.  So, while my expectations have been dashed, I have to say that my experience with them has been mostly good.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 47 of 61
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

When I am realistic about what Capital One is for me, then I love the company.  When I was approved for two of their cards 4 years ago, I was was  happy - even felt honored - to get cards that were not Orchard or First Premier.  I had no annual fees on my accounts, and except for one instance, their CSRs have always been very nice and professional.  In 2008 they often sent out letters to customers telling them that if they called up using so and so phrase, such as, "I want to make C1 my primary card," they would get a CLI.  People would share the phrases or codes or whatever in the forums and others would call up and get CLI.  It is how I received a $300 CLI even before ever receiving my first $500 Credit Steps increase.

Both my Visa and MC were Credit Steps cards and within in a year, my Visa went from $500 to $1800, my MC from $500 to a $1000, as opposed to $1500 because supposedly I missed a payment or went over my limit.  Since I had gotten regular increases, especially on the Visa, during that first year, I thought the increases would continue.  They did not, and that is when the frustration set in. 

Nearly 4 years later the Visa was still at $1800, and I got the same responses when I asked about the prospect of a CLI.  What bothered me was that I had done all the things they had asked me to do to show credit worthiness and responsible management of the cards.  Interestingly, it was during my third year of having these cards that I got an increase on the MC - the card I supposedly had a baddie on.  I went from $1000 last year to $4000, but then they took back some of the increase because they said I was only supposed to get increased to $2500.  That card still sits at $3350 since last December.  And I do realize that for a Cap 1 card, this is a good limit.

It seems to be feast or fammine with them.  To have gotten $1300 in CLI in under a year had me convinced that the Visa would continue to grow with me.  I had not thought of EVER closing my Cap 1 cards.  This was not an issue of prime vs. subprime, but of an expectaiton I had based on my early experiences with them.  Since I do not need or want a pocket full of credit cards, I decided to close the Visa, feeling like there really was nowhere to go with it.   I was told that my MC has reached its max CL, which is disappointing to me, because I certainly would not mind staying with this company for many years, but I would like some incentive to do so.  Every now and then, they will give me a reduced APR offer, whiich is nice.  And still, I know that I have received more in CLs than people who have had their cards longer than I have and/or have better scores.  So, while my expectations have been dashed, I have to say that my experience with them has been mostly good.

lol i am going to try this tomorrow and see what they say lol 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 48 of 61
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

@Changingmantra wrote:

When I am realistic about what Capital One is for me, then I love the company.  When I was approved for two of their cards 4 years ago, I was was  happy - even felt honored - to get cards that were not Orchard or First Premier.  I had no annual fees on my accounts, and except for one instance, their CSRs have always been very nice and professional.  In 2008 they often sent out letters to customers telling them that if they called up using so and so phrase, such as, "I want to make C1 my primary card," they would get a CLI.  People would share the phrases or codes or whatever in the forums and others would call up and get CLI.  It i

lol

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 49 of 61
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@daisydvm wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

@Changingmantra wrote:

When I am realistic about what Capital One is for me, then I love the company.  When I was approved for two of their cards 4 years ago, I was was  happy - even felt honored - to get cards that were not Orchard or First Premier.  I had no annual fees on my accounts, and except for one instance, their CSRs have always been very nice and professional.  In 2008 they often sent out letters to customers telling them that if they called up using so and so phrase, such as, "I want to make C1 my primary card," they would get a CLI.  People would share the phrases or codes or whatever in the forums and others would call up and get CLI.  It i

lol

they are gonna laugh at me and say ok and sooo 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.