Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving Up on Capital One..

tag
bicboiOD
Contributor

Giving Up on Capital One..

So with my current rebuild, my Capital One tradeline is my oldest open credit line and that is really the only thing that's keeping me from closing it. It started as a tiny little $300 CL Platinum card from 2016 and to this day it is now a tiny little $300 CL QS (with no AF), as with everyone else struggling to get a CLI, I've tried multiple times getting denied for various different reasons, so I thought it might have to do with my past payment history with them. (I have also realized that my denial letters are referencing my EQ score from Dec 2020, which is significantly lower than what they are now, and I've been pushing the luv button, every other week)

I had 3 total 30D lates with them, with the latest one almost being 2 yrs ago. I emailed the CEO for a GW adjustment and got a call from EO about a week later. Very pleasant lady and asked why and what happened about the late. Just explained the reality of being irresponsbile and at the time of when I had it I was trying to balance work and full-time school and now I've been much more involved in being responsible with my credit. Haven't missed a single payment since June of 2019 and told her I was on autopay. She said that she would look into it and call me back the next day, in which she did, but to tell me that they couldn't do anything due to FCRA.

Decided to send a follow-up email just to compliment the rep that "helped" me, but to also write in about my constant CLI denials, and surprisingly I got another call from the EO, trying to "diffuse" my frustrations with them. Call ended up same as the first one, "Thank you for being a loyal customer with Capital One" 

As my scores were improving, I got "matched offers" for Capital One Platinum, hoping that I would possibly get a higher SL with the improvements that have been made on my CR, but I ended up being foolish and took a 3HP to only be offered a secured platinum.. (with a min $49 deposit, if that's any consolation..) I plan to just put in add the additional $800 to the deposit to get the max SL of $1000 and hope I get the auto-CLI from the credit steps after the consecutive on-time payments..

I spoke with CSR and they did state that they were graduating secured cards, so just gonna let it report $0, probably put a few charges here and there as needed but otherwise just sock drawer it because I know I can definitely grow much more with Discover and AMEX..

The only bit of optimism I have is if I decide to keep sending GW letters to get those lates removed and if they finally decide to give me a reasonable CLI once my credit score jumps up after my last CA gets deleted from my report..

Current Stats:

03/2021 EXTUEQ

FICO8

(01/2020)

INQ (24mo)875
INQ (12mo)775
AAoA4y 2mo4y 2mo4y 2mo
AoYA2 mo2 mo2 mo

Personal Revolvers:

Credit Limit$300$2000$1000$1000$1250
Age4y 4mo2 mo1 mo1 moN/A
Utilization0%11%N/AN/AN/A
17 REPLIES 17
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Giving Up on Capital One..

@bicboiOD 

Here is some information you may find useful

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/credit-line-increase/ 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 18
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Take heart. Cap1 has been fairly conservative on CLIs for a few years now. The first card you have is bucketed or categorized based on your scores when you were first approved years ago. It will not likely grow much for that reason. Keep your reported utilization below 28.5% each month and work on removing as many baddies as you can. The lates are dragging your scores but the sting will lessen as time goes by. I wouldn't recommend getting another card for 12 months so the inquiries no longer affect your scores. You'll see better offers once you're at 680 or better. Best wishes in this marathon known as the credit game.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 3 of 18
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Cap1 is my oldest card as well, and pretty much the only reason I haven't closed them yet. I used to really like them until the CLD trigger happy event that happened last year. My scores were getting high, and they were getting high on paranoia.

I still like them compared to most other popular and big banks, but not as much as before.

Message 4 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Still. Boggles the mind   how  Cap One is looked upon fir cli increases. Imo they are kinda like WF,  conservative as ficoSmiley Wink. With a blemished report, they can always have a ready to go reason for denial. Without significant spend, not much better chances. I think people should just use them as a springboard to better cards bit just multiple ones .  Know thy enemy, er, friendsSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bucketed/"starter" account from Capital One is never going to grow.  Trying to improve your profile, eliminate negative items etc. is a great thing but will have zero impact on your [in]ability to obtain a CLI on that account.  After you clean up your file if you apply for a new account through Capital One you'll no doubt receive a better SL at that time, but don't expect a dime out of them on your rebuilder account.

As for GW denials with CO, they are common but if you look at the rebuilding section of the forum you'll see a handful of recent success stories.  Your best bet is to keep trying, as it's normal to hear a ton of "no" responses prior to getting the "yes" you're looking for.

Message 6 of 18
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

When it comes to CapOne, they are who they are.  Expecting them to be something else is just a waste of time and frustration.  They may not be for everyone but they have their place in this space just like most other lenders.  What one has to do is realize when they're no longer right for *you*.  

OP, sometimes you have to choose between turning the page or closing the book and only you can determine when such action is appropriate for your situation. 

Message 7 of 18
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Can't believe they told you they're graduating secured cards. Take that with a grain of salt. I had their secured card for 7 years and never got offered one. Even with scores in the 780's. I dumped them years ago. They have, of course, graduated for brief moments in time...if you happened to apply at the exact, right magical time. Who knows if you have? You won't know until it happens. 

I'm sorry you're in this pickle but I hope it works out for you.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 8 of 18
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Can't believe they told you they're graduating secured cards. Take that with a grain of salt. I had their secured card for 7 years and never got offered one. Even with scores in the 780's. I dumped them years ago. They have, of course, graduated for brief moments in time...if you happened to apply at the exact, right magical time. Who knows if you have? You won't know until it happens. 

I'm sorry you're in this pickle but I hope it works out for you.

Capital One is in fact back to graduating their secured cards again. They reenacted that policy a few months ago. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 9 of 18
JamP
Valued Contributor

Sock Drawer it or cut it up and forget about it.

Let them close it.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.