Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go Home, Amex, You're Drunk

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Go Home, Amex, You're Drunk

Logged in to my account today to verify payments cleared and was greeted with this banner at the top of my Gold card page.

PhotoGrid_1597409474532.jpg

Being that it wasn't an MR card, I was meh. Then I go to the Delta Platinum page and get this at the top.

PhotoGrid_1597409853902.jpg

Upgrade what card? I don't have the Blue Cash. I went ahead and clicked on the upgrade link out of curiosity and get this.

PhotoGrid_1597409576184.jpg

Not an upgrade, but now I'm tempted for that 25% cashback SUB. I click on the apply button to see if it's pre-approved, and it's not.  Think Amex is trolling me. Just found it odd about the language used. Anyone else seeing this?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Go Home, Amex, You're Drunk

I'm seeing it 

Screenshot_20200814-065714_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200814-065827_Samsung Internet.jpg

20200814_070147.jpg

Message 2 of 19
sammydavidjr
Regular Contributor

I love Amex because of their attention to detail, but this time I think they've missed an opportunity to be as near-perfect as I usually find them to be: I see that same offer in my account under all my cards, even though I am actually ineligible for it because I already have the Blue Cash Everyday card.
I checked the offer terms and they indeed exclude anyone who has or has had the card.

The welcome offer, intro APRs, and intro plan fees are not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer, intro APRs, and intro plan fee eligibility.

Personalization of the user experience is something I always appreciate, and this is a missed opportunity to do that.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw it also this morning. Does me no good with four revolvers already, one of which being BCP.

Message 4 of 19
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Perhaps i need a BCE card..... could use the SUB (Yes I got this offer too) 

Also got an offer thats not as good for upgrading my CM to a BCP.... Earn $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive the $150 back in the form of a statement credit.

-J

Message 5 of 19
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I saw that Amazon offer this morning as well and got interested until I saw it has the lifetime language in the offer.  I had the BCE 3 years ago so no good for me.

It's a good offer for anyone who hasn't had this card, though.  $300 for $1000 spend is nothing to sneeze at.

Message 6 of 19
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

I'm seeing similar offers. I didn't take screenshots, but it was worse yesterday when these first appeared. I think the one on my gold card invited me to "upgrade" that card to something in the Blue Cash family. The verb they use today is "apply."  Maybe they're sobering up a bit. 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be nice if they offered the 20% Amazon offer to current cardholders, as opposed to only new applicants. Especially considering what's going on right now with uncertainty and Banks being cautious as it is in some cases.  

the "up to" 20% is intersting, I would be curious just what items are eligible for the max 20% versus what you actually get.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least you and others received the offer. Nothing for me!

Message 9 of 19
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I had the exact same options this morning when I too logged in to verify payments!

Pre-Covid I was getting messages every day...You're pre-approved for a Loan of up to XX at XX% and You're pre-approved for a Amex Plat Business.  I kept clicking them away.....

Then...COVID and they disappeared.  When I saw that, I was like...Hmmm....maybe their outlook is better than expected?  Nope...just trying to hype me up...

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.