Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going Over The Limit (by accident)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Going Over The Limit (by accident)

Can someone tell me what the effect is when you go over your credit limit (by accident).  I am in the process of rebuilding and I have 2 Cap 1 cards and a Credit 1 card with small limts ($400, $300, $300, respectively).  I've gone over my limit on my Cap 1 card by $2.  I always PIF so this is only temporary.  However I was wondering if this will have an effect on the credit step program in terms of the 6 month automatic CLI.  Do you know if going over the limit will prevent the increase?  I surely hope not.  These small limits don't help much.  I need a larger credit line.  Does any one know?  Please advise...

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Going Over The Limit (by accident)

As long as it doesn't report to the credit bureaus as over the limit it shouldn't change anything at all.
If it reports to the cbs like that then your fico takes a hit.
This has been my personal experience 😊
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wont be an issue as you PIF.  Nothing to worry about

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Yes it 'could' effect your Steps status or any other status with the specific lender.
However, as it's an in-house issue it generally won't effect outside stuff like FICO credit scoring but it isn't something you want to mess with

2) I know you have been sold a bill of goods differently but DO NOT attempt to actually use these building block training wheel CL level CCs as 'real' CCs

Because they just are NOT, just as you said they don't 'help' much

That's NOT their purpose, friend

Again, you must reprogram your thinking as to what a rebuilder cards PURPOSE is

The ONLY thing those cards should be used for is to show a tank of gas worth of use on one account with the rest showing zero

Such that the scoring model reads 3 paid as agreed TLs with sub 10% usage over time....that is it, PERIOD

Otherwise those cards have ZERO other purpose

Buy ish with your debit card, cash, barter I don't give a freak but if your goal is to build a credit profile STOP using the darn cards

The GOAL at this stage of the game is P.R.
and you need to control what gets reported to the scoring model and remember what she likes and how she scores

The GOAL is to stroke the SCORE
You can get the cards and limits you want later AFTER the score and history as been carefully manipulated by YOU!

The model wants to see
On-time and low % ...give it what it wants

Play the video game 8-10 months allowing
3 accounts to show 30/30 on, on-time opportunities and low usage, while juggling multiple accounts

And the NEXT approvals will be based upon higher matured scores with better terms and lower % rates

Or keep playing Checkers in this Chess game and allow them to beat you

It's your choice
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply ghgirl!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Gemini!  That's what I was looking for - how it will effect my "Steps status."  The rest of your advice is right on.  That is exactly what I need to do.  I need to give the cards a rest and patiently wait while rebuilding.  Great advice.  Thank you!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Irish80!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Btw it's No Accident...it's set up for you to fail playing the game, the way 'they' told you

Again, they issue you Checker pieces for the Chess game

Make no mistake, it's a sucker's bet to TRY to run actual 'real' purchases through toy limit CC's

They are for 'show' only
But if the powers that be can get a bunch of middle class folks to get caught up in B.S. and fees and chasing gimmick points vs building a superior profile before hitting the playing field...so be it

Works for them

Cartoons, commercials and jingles all profitable to da man
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As with anything credit, ymmv but here's my tale.

Had a cap1 go at 300-400-750. Got a second one went 500-600. The statement before the second card was due for steps increase, I messed up the dates and went over limit by a couple bucks on the first card. Saw it and paid it down right away but still reported. I was nervous about steps on second card, But the bump from 600-1100 went through fine.

Good luck.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

*for recency sake, this happened two weeks ago
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.