Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going about Product Change

tag
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Going about Product Change

Hey everyone,

I'm coming up on a year with my Citi ThankYou Preferred card and I have been looking to do a product change to the Double Cash card. Has anybody been able to product change to the Double Cash card from this card? I got it as the student card so I'm hoping that doesn't affect the probability of the change. I have seen a few threads saying Citi hasn't been allowing them to product change the card, so just making sure that there's still a chance of it happening.

Thanks!!

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Going about Product Change

I have not done this myself, but quite a few others here were able to change the ThankYou Preferred to Double Cash in the past. The student version could be a bit different, though. Bottom line is it doesn't hurt to call in and ask.

Message 2 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I've definitely heard of people doing it before, albeit not so much recently. That said it's better to just call and ask. It's definitely possible, but it depends what offers are on your specific account.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I swapped the TY Premier to a DC w/o any issues when calling the analyst directly.  They tried to offer the Dividend card which is their version of the Freedom card and stuck with the DC.  

Now I have 2 of them and need to really call them and take the HP to shift all of the CL from one to the other and close out the other one.

Message 4 of 7
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I swapped the TY Premier to a DC w/o any issues when calling the analyst directly.  They tried to offer the Dividend card which is their version of the Freedom card and stuck with the DC.  

Now I have 2 of them and need to really call them and take the HP to shift all of the CL from one to the other and close out the other one.

So it's better to probably call the analyst directly and ask them about it? I've always found Citi's customer service line hard to get through, it always asks me to keep saying what I want, even though I say "representative" it just gets mad at me lol. I'll have to call in and ask then, I probably would end up closing the account as I can get other cards that offer 2%.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, call directly and there's no real prompts and it's quick.  I was doing the whole threaten to cancel thing with them and that didn't get far as I felt they would actually do it so I changed my approach to well, maybe I'm interested in something else.  Took a couple of weeks to get the card in hand but, it was painless. 

Oh, and you'll get charged the AF and on the next statement they credit it back.

Message 6 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify that, Citi hasn't really done credit line allocations in a while.  Essentially you will need to take a HP to receive a credit line increase on one card and be approved for it; the "moving the credit line" part doesn't really happen, unfortunately.  You're essentially just obtaining a HP CLI prior to closing another account.  That's one thing that does frustrate me about Citi; BoA, Chase, and (especially) Amex make that process very simple.

On the flip side, Citi does have about the most flexible product change policy.  You usually can just speak to the front line CSR to get it done.  If they are unable to do it, they will certainly put you through to an analyst, and their analysts are almost as easy to talk to as BoA's.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.