cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going down to only 2 cards Major Closings!

tag
greent
Frequent Contributor

Re: Going down to only 2 cards Major Closings!

Good for you. I've thought about only keeping two cards eventually or maybe 0. I'll probably do 2 then 0. Right now I'm having fun getting them and gardening them so it'll be a while.

Message 11 of 64
wasCB14
Super Contributor

What made VentureOne a keeper?

I can understand the desire to simplify, especially when you have so many different logins. I'm at 13 cards and don't feel overwhelmed, but they are spread across only 6 logins.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm happy for you!  I can say once we get what we need, we will probably weed out quite a few cards also. 

Message 13 of 64
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

While I'm all for simplification and doing whatever you please, I'd consider holding onto at least three cards for optimal scoring purposes and I'd probably consider holding onto that walmart MC with a $10k CL for utilization purposes since the cards you are keeping have relatively low CL's. But it's your call, good luck. 

Most mere mortals in the regular  world pay little to no attention to these things and seem to get by just fine.

While I wouldn't personally go down to 2 (I'd probably keep 3), it's not the end of the world and if OP feels it's best that's their choice.

True, it's not the end of the world, just giving my two cents, which is probably worth half that. OP is free to do as they please. 

Message 14 of 64
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I can understand the desire to simplify, especially when you have so many different logins. I'm at 13 cards and don't feel overwhelmed, but they are spread across only 6 logins.

VentureOne is yucky poo.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 15 of 64
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

I've been thinking about it for the past 2 months I just am too tempted to spend even though my income just more than doubled. Also I worry what a mortgage lender would think aboutabout all of them. I will keep Discover and Venture One. They are my first credit cards. For now these will suffice. When I become a homeowner I will apply as needed for maybe a Lowes and or Home Depot. My goal now that I have a new Chevy Cruze and excellent credit is a trip to the garden to save money for a down payment. I will still be on here with updates about my Discover and Cap One.

Message 16 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bigalkescott514 wrote:

So I'm tired of having all of my cards so I'm closing my Walmart Mastercard, Citi Double Cash, Chase Unlimited, Wells Fargo Amex, BoA Cash Rewards, BP Visa, Paypal Xtras MC, Barclay Rewards any Meijers Mastercard. Everyone is going to freak out about this but oh well my credit my choice.

OMG!!!!  That's the worst idea I have ever heard.   You must be...

Is that enough freak out for you?   Most people won't react as it is your credit, they don't know you etc....

Message 17 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigalkescott514 wrote:

So I'm tired of having all of my cards so I'm closing my Walmart Mastercard, Citi Double Cash, Chase Unlimited, Wells Fargo Amex, BoA Cash Rewards, BP Visa, Paypal Xtras MC, Barclay Rewards any Meijers Mastercard. Everyone is going to freak out about this but oh well my credit my choice.

It may be a good idea to start with one or two, rather than all at the same time.  You are right, it is your choice!

Message 18 of 64
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

VentureOne is yucky poo.

CapOne may be "yucky poo" as you put it...but if I were the OP I'd consider holding on to it as well.  My reason would be because CapOne doesn't get "spooked" (as it's referred to around these parts) very easily in my experience.  If you want to make a large purchase, carry a large balance, etc, they seem not to care as much as some lenders when they see said activity.  Just my opinion...

Message 19 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you.

I wish I could cut mine to three cards. Or even just five.
Message 20 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.