cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from AMEX Green to Platinum. Does it make sense?

tag
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Re: Going from AMEX Green to Platinum. Does it make sense?

@ryanbush

I totally forgot about the companion pass. I didn't think it was offered at all for anything but the platinum charge, do I have one available with my Gold Delta Cc? I'm looking into the companion pass requirements for the platinum card now. Am I correct that it is only available if you book through AMEX and buy a fully refundable ticket?

Looking back through my statements, I've spent $165 this year on lounge access(money well spent IMO). I think the Plat is the way to go. Now I just have to see if I can get one before the end of the year with enough time to use up the $200 credit and see if I can get some kind of signup bonus, 25,000 for. $2k in 3mo is the one I see online.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 31
W0MACK
Valued Member

Mercedes-Benz Plat has a 50k with 3k spend in 3mo.  but terms dictate no zync/green/gold members within last 90 days....

Current Scores:
EX: 675 12/2014
EQ: 698 01/2015
TU: 714 07/2014
Last App: 05/27/2014
Goal : 750 Across the Board
Message 12 of 31
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

The Platinum and Reserve Delta cards still over a free companion cass (economy for platinum and economy/business for reserve) It does not require a full fare but there are fare requirements.

For example I booked a ticket that was showing lowest fare 485, the fare needed for the companion pass was 540.  still saved over $400.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 13 of 31
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

I have a follow up question. From the best of my googling abilities, it looks like the only companion tickets the Plat charge card offers are for international business or first class. It looks like they use to offer a domestic service but don't any longer.

Is this correct?

I see the delta plat and reserve have domestic companion ticket offers.

Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14

Message 14 of 31
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:
I have a follow up question. From the best of my googling abilities, it looks like the only companion tickets the Plat charge card offers are for international business or first class. It looks like they use to offer a domestic service but don't any longer.

Is this correct?

I see the delta plat and reserve have domestic companion ticket offers.

Correct about the Plat companion ticket. I do not know about the delta plat and reserve, sorry.

A question for you Kyle, do you still live in Vegas?

ETA: or how many times do you fly to Vegas or DFW a year?

Message 15 of 31
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@superkirby

I no longer live in Vegas, I'd guess Ill fly to Vegas 3-6 times next year, it's hard to say right now. The rest will be spread out across the US, plus maybe 1-2 to Canada and 1-2 other international. Delta is what I've been flying most, Alaskan and American are options too, I've also taken some sketchy regionals. I've been spending a lot of time in the Salt Lake airport Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 31
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:
I have an AMEX green charge card and gold Delta credit card now. I don't use the green card much, small purchases here and there totaling a few hundred a month. I do like having a charge card "just in case" and the 13 years of backdating alone justifies the $95 AF(which will kick in 3/14). I'm starting to wonder if the extra $355 in AF for the platinum could be justified. Also would I even qualify for the platinum or is the underwriting criteria be same for all charge cards?

I've started traveling more (once or twice a month) and will continue to do so, probably more frequently over the foreseeable future. Because of where I now live I can't get direct flights, I have at least 1 layover, always. I would be able to use the $200 in travel credit easily. That leaves $155, the lounge access is worth that to me. So am I missing anything? It looks like the platinum is a better deal than the green.

OP,

IMO, you should cancel the green card before the annual fee kicks in and apply for the Platinum.

Ameriprise Financial offers a Platinum American Express card w/ the annual fee waived for the first year. All they ask is that you have some sort of account with them (even though there have been situations where non-members were approved.) The catch is there aren't any MR Points being offered as a sign up bonus (which you probably wouldn't be eligible for anyway) however, you will receive 5,000 additional Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible spending, up to 30,000 additional Membership Rewards points annually.

Here's the link for the app https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-cards-and-lending/cards/platinum-card-from-american-express.asp

*Also, check this out to learn more about what the American Express Platinum Card has to offer as a whole http://www.askmrcreditcard.com/creditcardblog/american-express-platinum-card-review/

Hope this helps and keep us updated on your decision Smiley Happy

Thank me later Smiley Wink

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 17 of 31
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:
@SuperKirby

I no longer live in Vegas, I'd guess Ill fly to Vegas 3-6 times next year, it's hard to say right now. The rest will be spread out across the US, plus maybe 1-2 to Canada and 1-2 other international. Delta is what I've been flying most, Alaskan and American are options too, I've also taken some sketchy regionals. I've been spending a lot of time in the Salt Lake airport Smiley Sad

Oh Ok do you fly to DFW? Flying transcon on American Airlines does usually mean youll have plenty of layovers in DFW.

The reason I ask is because Platinum Card now gives free access to the Centurion Lounge at Vegas and Dallas. Have you ever been to the Centurion Lounge?  Its the,  IMO,  nicest lounge by far in the US. Free buffet and free premium alcoholic drinks!  The Dallas Centurion lounge gives out free spa treatments. They'll even give you an iPad to play with. http://thepointsguy.com/2013/10/preview-of-the-new-american-express-centurion-lounge-opening-at-dall...

Non Plat members can pay $50 to get in. So if you travel to LAS or DFW alot its definitely worth it. IMO,  3-6 times is worth it.

Message 18 of 31
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@TheClub

At this point I think apping for the Plat before the AF on the green is the plan, I just don't know if they will 1) let me around the 12 month requirement 2) offer me bonus.

As far as the Ameriprise bonus offer, it would do me no good. I hardly use my charge card, $3k in 3mo or whatever for a signup bonus is one thing. I just wouldn't use it enough to take advantage of something like that. That was part of my quandary, I'd be using the card almost solely for the ancillary benefits. That's what I'm trying to weigh against the AF

Message 19 of 31
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Centurion Lounge looks epic! Id find an excuse to go through DFW for that.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.