Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from AMEX Hilton Ascend to Aspire

tag
whoknows1
Valued Member

Going from AMEX Hilton Ascend to Aspire

So I applied and got the Ascend card last month. I decided I wanted to upgrade to Aspire, but after an hour on the phone with AMEX, there's no upgrade option, apparently I have to apply for Aspire, and then cancel my Ascend.... Is this going to hurt my credit score? Currently have 4 lending cards with AMEX and 1 charge card. Ideally I want to get the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant too.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Going from AMEX Hilton Ascend to Aspire

You don't have to cancel your existing Ascend and probably not the most ideal strategy if you want to be eligibile for any potential or future AmEx SUBs.  The CARD Act prevents this type of change for another 11 months from an upgrade perspective.  Ideally, if you want to apply for Aspire, you can, but IMO I would wait.  How many AmEx CCs have you opened in the past 6 months, aside from the Ascend card?

Message 2 of 10
whoknows1
Valued Member

EveryDay Preferred. So I have chronologically: AMEX Cash Back, AMEX EveryDay Preferred, AMEX Gold, AMEX Hilton Ascend. AMEX Cash back is about 6 months old. I'm OK with canceling the Cash Back if that frees up 1 slot for Marriott Bonvoy...

Message 3 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@whoknows1 wrote:

EveryDay Preferred. So I have chronologically: AMEX Cash Back, AMEX EveryDay Preferred, AMEX Gold, AMEX Hilton Ascend. AMEX Cash back is about 6 months old. I'm OK with canceling the Cash Back if that frees up 1 slot for Marriott Bonvoy...

Are you referring to the Cash Magnet?  Did you obtain a SUB with your approval?  If so, unless you are *ok* with potentially not getting a SUB with the Aspire card, I wouldn't cancel any AmEx account where you earned a SUB for at least 12 months.

Message 4 of 10
whoknows1
Valued Member

Yes, a SUB of $200 I believe with the Cash Magnet. Oh heck no, I want the 150k SUB lol. OK, well I guess Marriott has to wait then. Aspire is superior to Marriott from what I know anyways. Is it out of ordinary to have both Ascend and Aspire cards? 

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@whoknows1 wrote:

So I applied and got the Ascend card last month. I decided I wanted to upgrade to Aspire, but after an hour on the phone with AMEX, there's no upgrade option, apparently I have to apply for Aspire, and then cancel my Ascend.... Is this going to hurt my credit score? Currently have 4 lending cards with AMEX and 1 charge card. Ideally I want to get the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant too.

You should just wait and use the Ascend card.

1. The Ascend card is a good card; in some ways it's better than the Aspire card.

2. Eventually Amex will probably make you an upgrade offer [in my case they offered me 150k Hilton points if I spent 4k in 3 months. 150k Hilton points is worth $600 to me.]

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Keep the Ascend. Don't apply for the Aspire.

Asend gets you Hilton Gold status, which is nearly the same as Diamond, for the average visitor. You still get good points on dining, and on Hilton stays. After the year, AMEX may offer you a product upgrade, same account, moves to Aspire.

My Hilton started as the no-AF version in 2015.

Upgrade offer (full points) to Surpass/Ascend in 2017.

Upgrade offer (full points) to Ascend in 2018.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 10
Ricky_D
Contributor

@whoknows1 wrote:

Hope my story helps. A little long...

in this order: i got:

Blue Cash Everyday

1 month later, Hilton Ascend

1 month after that, Platinum

1 month after that, (this month) Bonvoy Brilliant and Gold

During that time, I aquired a second Disco It card, and a second QS card

Also a credit union cash back Visa, and my local bank's world MC

I too called about getting an Aspire (told to wait or apply as an additional card) as I want more perks. I am not a points or rewards person.

An ex entertainer who is used to premium treatment. I lost everything and after 18 years, finally got my credit back.  I want premium cards and elite status when I travel. Plat is my airline and lounges card, Gold is my restaurant card, plus I have the hotel cards. Works for me.

However, with all the new cards, and inquiries, my score dropped from 784 to 750 on Experian. 759 to 730 on Vantage.

But the biggest hit came from Age of Accounts lately after getting the Brilliant and Gold.  My Experian is now 730, Vantage is 718. Total UTL is 8.5% total. Consider what your AOA willl be before getting another card.

Also, consider you will be paying another AF. You already paid one now. It would be a waste to put away your Ascend. Not a bad card.

I paid $95 in April,  $550 in May, and $450 and $250 in June. Do I want to pay another $450 now? I can wait a month or two.

I read many complaints about Hilton properties in the U.S. not honoring (pun intended) Diamond status about 70% of the time.

However, abroad, Diamond status gets you far more in elite treatment and points.

Definitely get the Bonvoy Brilliant. A ton of properties everywhere, many, many deals, promotions than any hotel card.

Since you have 4 AmEx credit cards now, get the Brilliant since you can have a max of 5 credit AmEx cards now. Then, you will have both Hilton, Mariott and their properties covered wherever you travel.

Message 8 of 10
whoknows1
Valued Member

Thanks for sharing... I was tempted to get Marriott Bonvoy, but after reading so many comparisons, Hilton Aspire is the way to go... I get more value out of Aspire. I don't see the same value with the Mariott Bonvoy... Besides, if I want the Mariott status, I can get a Platinum Charge card, right? Is the Delta Gold card worth getting for airplane tickets?

Message 9 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

The Delta gold is good for checked bags, the platinum gives you a free companion pass after the first year, on top of the bags.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.