Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Canada... cash or card?

tag
800who
Regular Contributor

Going to Canada... cash or card?

I'm going on a vacation this summer in Canada, should I use only Canadian currency or would I benefit using one of cards in my sig?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Going to Canada... cash or card?

@800who wrote:

I'm going on a vacation this summer in Canada, should I use only Canadian currency or would I benefit using one of cards in my sig?

If the options are the two cards in your signature and paper currency, I'd say go with paper currency. Discover is mainly a US credit card; if you find a merchant that accepts Diners Club you *may* be able to use your Discover. Your Cash Magnet card has a 2.7% foreign transaction fee so that would not be the best card to use. 

If you plan on frequently traveling you may want to get a Visa/MasterCard that does not charge a foreign transaction fee; such as a Capital One card. 

Message 2 of 13
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Carry both. Personally, I would charge everywhere I can, then pay cash when it’s required.

It depends on where you’re going and what activities you’ll be doing. For instance, my last trip to Canada, we spent our evenings eating everything in sight at the Richmond Night Market where its pretty much cash only.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 3 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

If those are only two cards the magnet has a FTF I believe so that is out of the question and the discover might or might not be accepted, so certainly have cash on you

Message 4 of 13
800who
Regular Contributor

Starting to branch out

I've had my Amex and Discover as my only two cards for a couple years now and haven't had an inquiry since Sept of 17 when I got my auto lease, however I'm going to Canada for vacation in the summer and someone mentioned to me that the Paypal 2% MC had no FTF and it was a 2% CB card, it interested me. After some consideration. I decided to switch my Amex CashMAG back to BCE(which I had originally) so now I can get 3% back on groceries(I have a gas card, that perk doesn't benefit me). I have Discover IT for rotating categories and now a 2% CB card which is better than the 1.5% from the mag. Definitely feels good to be branching out and assuring the best cash back for all the different types of spending. I should've mentioned earlier, but I applied then prompted to call and was instantly approved with $8,000 limit. Pretty excited. Total revolving is now $41,700 at 20 years old.

Message 5 of 13
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Starting to branch out

Sounds like you've got a healthy start on your files with the bureaus. Keep up the good work!

Also, Discover has no FTF as well.

Message 6 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Discover acceptance outside the US, even in Canada, isn't anywhere near being ubiquitous especially when one isn't in a area that caters to American tourists.   Best bet is to plan on using a MC or Visa as primary, or available as a backup to an AMEX primary if business travel.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 13
800who
Regular Contributor

I actually just found that out about discover, I also read though a lot of foreign places don't accept discover. Regardless, a MC added to the profile as well as a 2% CB card, I'm pretty stoked.

Message 8 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@800who wrote:

I've had my Amex and Discover as my only two cards for a couple years now and haven't had an inquiry since Sept of 17 when I got my auto lease, however I'm going to Canada for vacation in the summer and someone mentioned to me that the Paypal 2% MC had no FTF and it was a 2% CB card, it interested me. After some consideration. I decided to switch my Amex CashMAG back to BCE(which I had originally) so now I can get 3% back on groceries(I have a gas card, that perk doesn't benefit me). I have Discover IT for rotating categories and now a 2% CB card which is better than the 1.5% from the mag. Definitely feels good to be branching out and assuring the best cash back for all the different types of spending. I should've mentioned earlier, but I applied then prompted to call and was instantly approved with $8,000 limit. Pretty excited. Total revolving is now $41,700 at 20 years old.

Excellent and congratulations on the nice SL. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 13
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@800who wrote:

I actually just found that out about discover, I also read though a lot of foreign places don't accept discover. Regardless, a MC added to the profile as well as a 2% CB card, I'm pretty stoked.

You'll definitely get more use from the Paypal MC than you will Discover up there. That was pretty much just a FWIW statement. Although realize that Discover works where you see the Diners Club, JCB and Union Pay logos as well. Not many places in Canada, but just simple FYI Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.