Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to app for Sallie Mae card; questions before I do

tag
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

Going to app for Sallie Mae card; questions before I do

(Sorry if these questions have been asked before.)

1.) How is Barclay's with CL's to start? Do they look at the CL's from other CC companies at all, or is it not a factor?

2.) Does anyone know the average range of scores approved for this card? Current scores in my signature. Two INQ's set to fall off next month. About ~16% utilization due to dental bills I'll pay off this month, so hopefully a small bump there. Only derogatory is a 90 day late on a student loan from January 2009.

3.) What does Barclay tend to pull?

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Going to app for Sallie Mae card; questions before I do

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

1.) How is Barclay's with CL's to start? YMMV

Do they look at the CL's from other CC companies at all, or is it not a factor? Not a factor IMHO

2.) Does anyone know the average range of scores approved for this card? Which card?

Current scores in my signature. Two INQ's set to fall off next month. About ~16% utilization due to dental bills I'll pay off this month, so hopefully a small bump there. Only derogatory is a 90 day late on a student loan from January 2009.

3.) What does Barclay tend to pull? TU

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 15
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

2.) Does anyone know the average range of scores approved for this card? Which card?

Unless I misunderstood, the Sallie Mae card (the one where you can get the 5% cash back on groceries and gas up to $250 per month).

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 3 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Judging strictly by your TU score, I'd guess $3-5k, but don't quote me on that Smiley Happy

This generally isn't a high limit card and while Barclays has given me a few decent limits, it's never the highest.  Looking at creditpulls it seems to have a good approval rate.  I'm not sure how Barclay's will view that 90 day late on this card though.  Maybe someone else has more experience with that.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just approved for SallieMae about a month ago.

They started me at 3,600 and this was with an AMEX at 8,000 and a WF at 2,300.

I was approved and my TransUnion (they pulled TU for me) score was about 740 at the time of the app.

Message 5 of 15
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

They pull TU, but if you are borderline, they would do a second pull on Experian.

Message 6 of 15
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

1.) How is Barclay's with CL's to start? Do they look at the CL's from other CC companies at all, or is it not a factor?

2.) Does anyone know the average range of scores approved for this card? Current scores in my signature. Two INQ's set to fall off next month. About ~16% utilization due to dental bills I'll pay off this month, so hopefully a small bump there. Only derogatory is a 90 day late on a student loan from January 2009.

Barclay's tends to pull TU.

A credit line is derived from a complex calculation that uses FICO, but also includes a matrix of other variables, including the rest of the credit report, other publicly available information, information included on the application such as time at current residence, residence status, salary, available credit, used credit, other trends that their underwriters have identified, card program preferences.

In January I opened a UPromise MC with a $5k CL, and then was solicited for, and approved for, a PriceLine Visa with a $11k CL. The UPromise MC was then bumped up to $8k a couple of months ago.

If it's a card you want, you apply and see what they say. On the surface it would seem that you stand to get a card, but you won't know for sure until you apply.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 7 of 15
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Judging strictly by your TU score, I'd guess $3-5k, but don't quote me on that Smiley Happy

Good enough for me. I'd hope, at the very least, they'd be more than my Cap1 card.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 8 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

Unless I misunderstood, the Sallie Mae card (the one where you can get the 5% cash back on groceries and gas up to $250 per month).

Good catch I forgot to go back and look at title again LolSmiley Sad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 15
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

Hi,

I was accepted with a TU score of 685 or so with a credit limit of $3k. I had 3 inquiries on TU.

I had no baddies on file. However my EQ and EX scores were lower. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.