cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to close my jcrew but then......

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Going to close my jcrew but then......

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

It might be the best looking card next to my CSP.  Just simple black.  Still up in air whether I need to cut ties with it or not.  Don't need it for utilization or anything else.  Just affraid of to much credit for future huge approvals on Visa/Mc's type cards and hindering possibly that.  Otherwise I would keep it for sure, up in the air about it still.

CC. Question? Where are you getting this stuff that a 14-20k card will hurt future limits? not sure. but i know for sure. 12njoy is up to 650k in limits. and none of his cards have hurt his future limits. Mc Visa or anything else. and his income is not as high as yours. and for sure his util is not like yours with $200 bucks. you will be fine with Jcrew. Age trumps the limits of a card. without any doubt. Edit. Unless you are concerned with some internal limit with comenity. Then of course this makes sense. otherwise. no.

Message 11 of 19
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@taxi818 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

It might be the best looking card next to my CSP.  Just simple black.  Still up in air whether I need to cut ties with it or not.  Don't need it for utilization or anything else.  Just affraid of to much credit for future huge approvals on Visa/Mc's type cards and hindering possibly that.  Otherwise I would keep it for sure, up in the air about it still.

CC. Question? Where are you getting this stuff that a 14-20k card will hurt future limits? not sure. but i know for sure. 12njoy is up to 650k in limits. and none of his cards have hurt his future limits. Mc Visa or anything else. and his income is not as high as yours. and for sure his util is not like yours with $200 bucks. you will be fine with Jcrew. Age trumps the limits of a card. without any doubt. Edit. Unless you are concerned with some internal limit with comenity. Then of course this makes sense. otherwise. no.

Just cautious is all Taxi.. It really depends on lenders probably.  Will it hurt with Chase?  Probaby not.. Will it possibly hurt with Penfed?  Maybe.  I just prefer to take the cautious route is all.  My income might be a bit higher then njoy and I am only holding about 140k in CL's his profile isn't dirty like mine is being my old CO's and lates that I still have reporting for another 2 years. As you know every credit profile is different and can't really compare one to another.  I still think I have room to grow without cancelling JCREW at the moment, just worried in the future is all..  Just from reading lenders start saying woah you have to much credit to some, mainly CU's, but obviousy big banks can do this as well also it might not be an instant approval which we all prefer and hopefully for big limits.  I have surpassed my annual income now in CL's is why I am a bit worriedSmiley Happy.  Just edge on side of caution and weighing my options and what is best for me as I rather have a nice Visa/MC with awesome rewards or signup bonuses or killer APR than a store card.  If something has to give it will be the store card, not sure it has to give though.

Message 12 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Just cautious is all Taxi.. It really depends on lenders probably.  Will it hurt with Chase?  Probaby not.. Will it possibly hurt with Penfed?  Maybe.  I just prefer to take the cautious route is all.  My income might be a bit higher then njoy and I am only holding about 140k in CL's his profile isn't dirty like mine is being my old CO's and lates that I still have reporting for another 2 years. As you know every credit profile is different and can't really compare one to another.  I still think I have room to grow without cancelling JCREW at the moment, just worried in the future is all..  Just from reading lenders start saying woah you have to much credit to some, mainly CU's, but obviousy big banks can do this as well also it might not be an instant approval which we all prefer and hopefully for big limits.  I have surpassed my annual income now in CL's is why I am a bit worriedSmiley Happy.  Just edge on side of caution and weighing my options and what is best for me as I rather have a nice Visa/MC with awesome rewards or signup bonuses or killer APR than a store card.  If something has to give it will be the store card, not sure it has to give though.

I understand the caution. i was before. and yes. njoy has some baddies as well. but i was cautious at one point. i gave it up. my income is low. 62k. at least for this year. next year will be better as i will work more and not chill so much. Smiley Very Happy i didnt know you had only 140k. i thought you were over 200 by now. with the big limits you have. Im at about 150 i guess in total limits. not counting my DinersClub which is hidden. im good with that for now. Thats why ive not applied for the lowes which  can be 35k easily or barneys for 30k. which im sure i would never use either one.  i would rather have mcs and Visa cards as well. some at this point im very selected. i just don't think closing something i already have will help me in the long run. i don't use jcrew much. which their prices are sick anyway. but i will buy a shirt or some socks every 6 months. i think it has helped me with comenity. I will probably cancel my overstock. Which i only used once. and my limit is only 3k. maybe that will free up some room on my Total rewards.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I pulled it out and it's so simple, so pretty.  Just couldn't do it, just the thought of having to put the poor thing through the shredder made me return it to the SD.

I honestly don't think I'll ever really use it, don't shop there a ton, got it so that I had something that would grow, but since then I got a Barclays, Sportsmans Guide Visa and a Venture.  Don't really need the $1,100 to pad my utilization any longer.  Sigh, I guess it's time to just cut ties with it..........

@Anonymous wrote:

I pulled it out and it's so simple, so pretty.  Just couldn't do it, just the thought of having to put the poor thing through the shredder made me return it to the SD.

I honestly don't think I'll ever really use it, don't shop there a ton, got it so that I had something that would grow, but since then I got a Barclays, Sportsmans Guide Visa and a Venture.  Don't really need the $1,100 to pad my utilization any longer.  Sigh, I guess it's time to just cut ties with it..........

Here's my objective take on it. Your file is weak still and so are your scores. You had a Bk discharged just short of 2 years ago. Some lenders such as Macy's won't give a person with a Bk an account for 4 years. 

Once your J Crew is 6-7 months old you can probably get a few thousand dollar jump in limit.

I got my card in February with a $500 limit and got it to $1600 by June. In September got a $4000 increase to $5600. I spent about $500 on it and it is paid off.

It's going to take a few years for you to build up a solid file. Buy a few clothing items and pay them off over 2 months.

Just be patient. Strategically apply for credit that matches your scores, follow the inside info from this and other credit forums, work your cli's, and let your file fatten up.

Just hang tight and be patient. Let some more time pass since your bk. Let your scores move into the 700's. Then more doors will open.Every card and limit matters, particularly post bk and with mid 600 scores.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I promise to keep it open, maybe I'll buy some over priced, on sale socks at Christmas with it 😄

I can get my next CLI in the middle of November can't remember the exact date but I've tried for multiple increases via robot lady and haven't been able to get one yet. Too lazy to turn on the laptop, don't have the data on my phone.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, I promise to keep it open, maybe I'll buy some over priced, on sale socks at Christmas with it 😄

I can get my next CLI in the middle of November can't remember the exact date but I've tried for multiple increases via robot lady and haven't been able to get one yet. Too lazy to turn on the laptop, don't have the data on my phone.

Check out the Factory sale socks when they go an additional 40-50% off. They become comparable to normal stores then. Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I haven't had it long started at $500 and I get $300 each month. I've been working it every 31 days.

I'm an organizer, hate stuff sitting around cluttering up the place. My SD is growing and it feels like it's gonna run out of room for, well socks.........

I'll just keep it open, take it out to look at and put it back in. My other store cards will actually get used once I start decorating next year.

That means you don't know the jcrew secret trick. After 6 months with card. Hit the luv button 10-25 times. You will get that x 300. Every 6 months. Do what you are doing. But try multiple hits. It will grow fast. I don't hit it now as I'm good with 10k

Is jcrew the only comenity CC this works on?

I have Overstock, Sportmans Guide Visa, and Modells, and DW has WomanWithin, and HSN.

thanks.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always go back and forth with this too. Most of the time I say keep it as long as there is no annual fee. You never know when you may need the padding for utilization.

Message 18 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

CC. Question? Where are you getting this stuff that a 14-20k card will hurt future limits? not sure. but i know for sure. 12njoy is up to 650k in limits. and none of his cards have hurt his future limits.

Context always matters. Whether $X may be an issue for an individual all depends on that person's credit profile & income and the risk tolerance of a given creditor. What 12njoy is up to in limits is only relevant to those with a similar enough profile and income and the same creditors. His ability to achieve those limits does not mean that others do not run into denials because of the amount of credit already extended to them.

@taxi818 wrote:

Age trumps the limits of a card. without any doubt. 

How did you determine this?  It's know that limits factor into revolving utilization which itself factors into Amounts Owed.  Amounts Owed is typically a much larger factor than Length of Credit History.  However, the limit versus the age of a given revolver isn't quite so clear cut from what I've seen.  Again, credit profile matters as well.

I've only mentioned FICO scoring factors but there are other considerations as well.  The credit world isn't anywhere near as cut and dry as a game of poker so be careful proclaiming that "X trumps Y without a doubt" in cases like this.

@taxi818 wrote:

i just don't think closing something i already have will help me in the long run.

All depends on the details.  IMO people tend to be a bit obsessed over keeping everything open.  While that may provide a slight benefit in some cases there are certainly plenty who have excellent credit without keeping everything.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.