Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to your bank for a CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Going to your bank for a CC?

I am in a strange situation after having been overseas for a couple of years. I am an AU on my dad's card which makes my Experian 745 but I hve no FICO scores from other two agencies. I want to get a CC now to help build my credit but don't know which to get. Will anyone give me a card with just one FICO score? Should I go to my bank (been with them and no bounced checks for 8 years) to explain the situation to them and try to get a card with them?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Going to your bank for a CC?

You should give Patelco are CCCU a try. they both check experian.
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd check with your bank. Bank of America would normally be all over you with that score, but if you don't have any "real" credit (solely in your name), they might shy away. Lenders can see from your reports which accounts are AU's, which are joint, and which are only yours.

Get a Visa or MC from your bank, and in six months you will have credit in your own name. If your bank gets spooked, you can try a local credit union, although they usually pull EQ, and start with them (maybe a secured card.)

And as l9ikjam said, two CU's with national presence, Patelco and CCCU, pull EX. Do be aware that CCCU isn't federally insured. I don't think that's necessarily a problem; I just think that people should be aware. GL
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks....I will try Patelco and CCCU....can you tell me what CCCU stands for? Thanks!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And also....in order to get a credit card from a credit union, do you have to be a member of the credit union or can you just apply for the card? Thanks again you guys are the best!
Message 5 of 6
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
And also....in order to get a credit card from a credit union, do you have to be a member of the credit union or can you just apply for the card? Thanks again you guys are the best!

Whenever you join a credit union, you typically have to open a savings account with a minimum $5 deposit.

Some CUs will let anyone join, such as Penfed, and some require you be a member of an professional association, like JFCU.

Since you have a high EX, you should try BOA as the previous poster suggested. Try applying for the Platinum Plus Visa. If you don't get the approval, you may get countered with the highly coveted 99/500 card, where you put down a $99 deposit and they give you a card with a $500 CL. Or, they might also counter with the secured card, which is about an excellent starter card as you can get.

BOA will graduate their secured cards with 9 to 12 months of positive history and refund your deposit. These cards are a fantastic way to get your foot in the door.

I hate to recommend it, but Capital One seems to also be a good lender for you now also.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.