Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX

tag
WJL
New Contributor

Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX

Hello team, I wanted to ask those who were approved for this card what type of credit score/standing you were in? If this card is difficult to get, would it be better to apply for another AMEX card and ask them for a product change? I would like to obtain this card to start building miles and also have an AMEX under my belt. I've also been getting a lot of pre-selected letters from AMEX in the mail. Thanks!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX

Not sure what the criteria for this card is, I app'd for it after I had gotten my Zync card and was approved, my util was around 11% at the time, not sure what my EX score was, I had 11 inq's on my EX report. Just remember that if you go for another Amex card first, you can only pc from charge to charge, and revolving to revolving.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 2 of 27
WJL
New Contributor

Ah, thank you for pointing that out and your reply!

Message 3 of 27
cdtotten
Established Contributor

It is not a very hard card to get approved for, compared to other AMEX cards. The high annual fee on it pushes most people away form it, and if you do take the card they will push you to upgrade to platinum quickly (for a higher annual fee). If you fly Delta, atleast 4 times, then it's not a bad card to get. Other than that, it's just ok.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 27
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

I agree with cdtotten, the only reason I got the card was because I was already skymiles member, Delta is one of the main airlines that I fly other than Airtran, as much as I fly, it's worther the AF, thought about to switching to Plat. but so far have refrained from pulling the trigger

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 5 of 27
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

@cdtotten wrote:

It is not a very hard card to get approved for, compared to other AMEX cards. The high annual fee on it pushes most people away form it, and if you do take the card they will push you to upgrade to platinum quickly (for a higher annual fee). If you fly Delta, atleast 4 times, then it's not a bad card to get. Other than that, it's just ok.

+1 on this for me also. I got mine several years ago without any trouble when my credit was less than perfect (~660ish). Prior to that, I only had one Discover card with $1000 CL, so it didn't seem like they cared TOO much about my history. I know that was pre-credit crunch, so the game may have changed a bit, but as was explained, I think the high AF makes this card more accessible. Honestly, I'd dump mine if it didn't currently hold my highest CL ($10k, down from $14k during their cutbacks of '09). I just don't fly Delta as much as I used to, so the annual fee is hard to justify, unless you use the Delta perks a lot (free checked bag, double miles, crown room access, etc), or use it as your primary card to really rack up the miles.
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 6 of 27
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Easy to get in my view. I was new to credit and applied for it when I had one other credit card with a $1k limit for one year. I remember it was an instant approval with a $4k starting limit.

Get the card, enjoy the one year without annual fee, and then product change to something without it. That's what I did. I changed to the Blue Cash and haven't paid an annual fee to them. In hindsight, this was a great way of getting intothe family of Amex credit products.

Message 7 of 27
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

Easy to get in my view. I was new to credit and applied for it when I had one other credit card with a $1k limit for one year. I remember it was an instant approval with a $4k starting limit.

Get the card, enjoy the one year without annual fee, and then product change to something without it. That's what I did. I changed to the Blue Cash and haven't paid an annual fee to them. In hindsight, this was a great way of getting intothe family of Amex credit products.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but should I consider the product change option as well? I didn't want to hurt my AAoA by cancelling the card, and back when I was considering upgrading to Platinum, I thought I read somewhere that if I did that, the old card would show as closed, and the new card would have no age, so I kept the Gold. I'd love to get rid of the Annual Fee, but keep my AMEX membership.

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 8 of 27
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have this card. I dont think it is that difficult to get it

Message 9 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yes, if Delta card is of no use to you, I would call and ask which cards your eligible to PC into.  I even got Amex to refund my annual fee on Delta card when I PC because I was unhappy with the rewards.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.