Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold + Platinum Amex

tag
FidelCashflow
Valued Member

Gold + Platinum Amex

So I had the gold first and then was approved for platinum a year later. I opted for the new account instead of an upgrade, in order to get the bonus of course. My question is, do I cut the gold and stick with only the platinum? I've used both of the card's rewards in full, Uber, GrubHub etc.

I have until Jan/Feb to decide before the AF hits.

Starting Score: EX: 625 | EQ: 690| TU: 674
Current Score: EX: 733 | EQ: 692 | TU: 735
Goal Score: EX: 700 | EQ: 725 | TU: 715

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Target Red Card: CL $2300Quick Silver: CL $7500Venture: CL $16800Nordstrom Visa: CL $5000Amex Gold: CL ????Amex Bonvoy: CL $3100NFCU cashRewards: CL $3000Neimans: CL $2000Delta Platinum: CL $1700Platinum Card: CL ???Apple Card: CL $5500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gold + Platinum Amex

You should run your numbers to see if it fits you

Retention offer may be available around your renewal date

If you're organically using all the credits from the Gold, it's only a small effective AF after them

Personally, I don't spend enough to even make use of my Biz Gold, but I maxed the referrals and SUB to make it worth it

The NFCU has the More Rewards card that has similar earnings as the Amex Gold, but free.

Message 2 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I'd say NFCU More Rewards is only comparable to Amex Gold if you are doing low value redemptions like statement credit or using MRs to pay at checkout at Amazon, Best Buy, etc.  For travel redemptions, Gold is at least 33.33% more rewarding (pun intended) than More Rewards.  😉 

Without knowing your spending, it's hard to say whether it's worth getting rid of Gold and keeping Platinum.  If all of your spend is airfare, then Platinum makes sense and it would be pointless to earn 3x on Gold when you can earn 5x on Platinum.  But if you have any significant amount of restaurant and grocery spending, Gold is much better than anything else you currently have provided you're not doing one of the aforementioned low value redemptions.

Message 3 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston  I think you may want to preface any post about KFC card with this 

Better than typing "Full disclosure each time" 

Screenshot_20201109-104200_Chrome.jpg

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO the Plat is the better to keep if you must get rid of one. However if you maximize your regular benefits (not the add'l benefits added through Dec. 2020), the value against the AF should drop it really low; assuming you have some plans to travel... Acknowledging everyone's situation is different right now. On the other hand, the Gold might be OK to keep for at least another year, since the annual $100 airline incidentals credit will be going away in 2022.

Message 5 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@FidelCashflow wrote:

So I had the gold first and then was approved for platinum a year later. I opted for the new account instead of an upgrade, in order to get the bonus of course. My question is, do I cut the gold and stick with only the platinum? I've used both of the card's rewards in full, Uber, GrubHub etc.

I have until Jan/Feb to decide before the AF hits.

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Without knowing your spending, it's hard to say whether it's worth getting rid of Gold and keeping Platinum.  If all of your spend is airfare, then Platinum makes sense and it would be pointless to earn 3x on Gold when you can earn 5x on Platinum.  But if you have any significant amount of restaurant and grocery spending, Gold is much better than anything else you currently have provided you're not doing one of the aforementioned low value redemptions.

+1  ^  It really depends on your spend and your lifestyle.  Platinum is great if you buy a lot of airfare and spend a lot of time in airports.  But are you traveling right now during the coronavirus pandemic anyway or will you be?  My lack of purchasing airfare is why I choose to keep the Chase Sapphire Reserve and AMEX Gold, both of which pay well on dining out since that is a heavy area of spend for me. 

You mentioned taking advantage of the "rewards" (although I think you meant credits against the AF), but justifying the AF of cards like these beyond the pure emotional appeal has to do as much with the higher rewards rate you earn on spending categories as well as how much you value any perks.  So putting pencil to paper and doing an honest evaluation of your spending is needed to make the best decision. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It's also worth just looking at them as two totally unrelated cards, and then ask if each of them is delivering value for you (compared to say a free 2% flat card).    It gets a little more complex in that you need to decide which card you would use instead   (so a bad scenario would be deciding you didn't need Plat because Gold gave you enough on airfare, and you don't need Gold because Plat does better on airfare, and drop both, for example!)

Message 7 of 8
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

The two cards do not really compete with each other as far as benefits. If you just don't want two cards with substantial AFs, then you'll need to think about what each card's benefits are worth to you. While they are both travel cards in different ways, they are apples and oranges. Gold exists to build up MRs at grocery stores and restaurants that you can use to travel. Platinum is for airport lounges, plus hotel/rental car/etc status, when you travel. If you travel much, I think it's worth having both, but if I could only keep one, I'd keep Platinum. I can come close to matching Gold's rewards, but I can't come close to matching Platinum's status and lounge access. JMO!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.