cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold Reward Zone® program MasterCard® instead of the BB Store Card version.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gold Reward Zone® program MasterCard® instead of the BB Store Card version.

I must have clicked on the wrong one ?? I am perplexed .. I click on regular bestbuy store card.. and I got link in my email to check status blah blah..  then just now, I checked and it looks like I got it approved.. I do not know CL at the moment. all it says is.  plus it has print or save for "initial agreement"  I can see APR details such as 18.99% , etc but I don't care cuz I want to take advantage of 0% for 18 Months for HDTV's  my question is. is this any good?  I guess I have other mastercard logo .. I was hoping for a store card verison, unless this is better one?

Thank you!

You should receive your Gold Reward Zone® program MasterCard® with in the next 7-14 days. Enjoy the features and benefits of your new Gold Reward Zone® program MasterCard®:

Earn 4% on Best Buy purchases
Earn up to 2% on qualifying purchases at over 26 million locations worldwide
Automatic enrollment in the Reward Zone® program (www.myrewardzone.com)
Get reward certificates to use toward music, movies, electronics and more at Best Buy stores.
Enjoy exclusive bonus point offers throughout the year to earn rewards even faster
$0 liability on unauthorized purchases
Much more

Message Edited by SnowWalker on 12-28-2008 09:42 AM
Message Edited by SnowWalker on 12-28-2008 09:45 AM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Gold Reward Zone® program MasterCard® instead of the BB Store Card version.

It's possible that you hit the wrong button, but more likely, this was their decision. They shunt you over to the MC if you don't qualify for the store card. Smiley Sad

It's not a very good card, because no one can get a decent CL out of them, so it's pretty hard to use on the shiny toys at Best Buy. I'll let others with personal experience add on.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh, so basically this could be like 1st Premier Crap all over again?   Okay, I will Call 1-800-298-4240 and see whats up.
Message 3 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ugh, so basically this could be like 1st Premier Crap all over again?   Okay, I will Call 1-800-298-4240 and see whats up.
Congrats on your card approval. Trust me. Any card is better than first premier. Try to find out what is you CL then you can decide. Some times if you want to make large purchase goto bestbuy store manager. They can pull some levers and get you approved.
Message 4 of 10
Uniqua
Established Contributor

At least you got approved for one of their cards. I applied last weekend in store and was denied. I wasn't offered any of their other cards either. I was shocked so I called HSBC to find out why exactly I was denied. They said I had a Comp USA card about 10 years ago that was never paid in full. I asked them what that had to do with them as I did not obtain the Comp USA card issued by them, but instead Household Bank, and this account was deleted from my CRs roughly 4 years ago. They said they bought out Household Bank some years ago. Should have known. I kept getting offers from HSBC, only to be declined when I did apply. It's fine with me. They can hold a grudge as long as they'd like. I'm not paying that debt and I don't need any of their cards anyway. I shop at Best Buy all the time so I thought the 18 months interest-free financing was a good deal on a 32" HDTV I was buying as a Christmas gift.

Oh well. It wasn't my first decline and I'm sure it won't be my last! Smiley Very Happy Sucks that I got a 3 point ding on my EQ report for the INQ though. I had just got a 3 point ding because WaMu pulled a fast one on me by cutting my statement early before my payment hit my account, posting a high balance. Down to 694 now!
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, just got off the phone.. CSR seems to be pretty good so far for me.. here what I found out about it.  $500 CL but she said it could be bumped up to $1,500 or $2,000 at the Store ??  anyone know what she means by that? she said please wait 48 hours before you go to one of Best Buy Stores this way they can see the account details..

HSBC seems to like me.  BK was discharged 5/2008  and I never IIB them as "household" creditors.  This would be my 3rd HSBC account

GM Card $1750

Orchard Bank $500

Best Buy Mastercard $500 CL but $1,500 or $2,000 is a big ??????  for now its $500 CL

Message Edited by SnowWalker on 12-28-2008 11:22 AM
Message 6 of 10
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Keep aiming for that $10K CC. You'll get it in no time!  Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 10
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
It's possible that you hit the wrong button, but more likely, this was their decision. They shunt you over to the MC if you don't qualify for the store card. Smiley Sad

It's not a very good card, because no one can get a decent CL out of them, so it's pretty hard to use on the shiny toys at Best Buy. I'll let others with personal experience add on.

I didn't realize that it worked that way. I assumed that all store card applications worked the same as, say, a Target or Nordstrom application -- you receive the charge card if you don't qualify for the credit card.

In addition to the problem you mentioned, the other thing that sounds very frustrating about this card is the reports that I've read where you might be put into a tier where it'll be very hard (maybe impossible) to qualify for a CLI.

How's the average Best Buy shopper supposed to be aware of these pitfalls when they've got the pressures of a line of customers behind them and an employee in front of them urging them to hurry up on applying, paying, and exiting the line.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 12-28-2008 01:25 PM
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MojaveMoon wrote:

How's the average Best Buy shopper supposed to be aware of these pitfalls when they've got the pressures of a line of customers behind them and an employee in front of them urging them to hurry up on applying, paying, and exiting the line.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 12-28-2008 01:25 PM

I know I certainly didn't know.  Granted I had no one in line behind me.  But they said if you apply for the CC you could get 12 months no interest, and I went "okay!"  I had no idea there was a store card versus the mastercard and the store card was better or that there were tiers with interest rates and CL levels.  

And I still think it's odd that their store card is actually considered a better card than their Mastercard.

Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The Best Buy cards are the only ones I know of that are like this --where the store card is better than the co-branded bank card.

Unfortunately, HSBC treats the MC like many of their other bank cards --low CL's, hard to get CLI's. But Best Buy must have put its foot down on the store card. They sell so much expensive stuff that they know that the store card would be useless with a typical $500 CL, and they would lose sales.

I accidentally got a store card while experimenting with their online app (I swear, they never once warned there was a hard inq! Smiley Mad ), and it has a CL of $2500. I've seen better than that on the store card, but nothing close to that on the MC.

And the store card updates on its statement date, but I'm pretty sure that the BB MC updates on the last business day of the month, reporting the balance as of that moment, which matches the pattern of other HSBC/ Orchard bank cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.