cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold Skymiles AmEx approval odds?

tag
Shopaholic824

Gold Skymiles AmEx approval odds?

New to myFico but thought I'd get some input before getting hit with an inquiry from AmEx

I've been looking to get an AmEx for quite some time now but reading reviews has set me back for months. A friend however got recently approved with a 650 TU score for a 2K CL. My TU is currently at 660, with no deliquencies, 2 inquiries, an avg credit history of 1 yr & 8months, and $45k yearly income.

Also carry 5 other CC's

Best Buy: 0/$400

Nordstrom: 1400/$1500

Chase Slate: 500/$600

Chase Freedom: 0/$800

Capital One Journey: 1400/$1500

I also have a student loan for $2400 but don't know if they take that into consideration. 

I do carry a balance on 3 of 5 cards but will that impact my odds of approval by much?

I decided to opt for the skymiles since I do fly about 4 times a year (and heard it's the easiest to get approved for) but don't know if any other AmEx cards would have easier approval odds.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Re: Gold Skymiles AmEx approval odds?

You have a good chance. I got approved 3 weeks ago for an Amex Blue Cash Everyday with a 658 Experian. 

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 2 of 7
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@Shopaholic824 wrote:

New to myFico but thought I'd get some input before getting hit with an inquiry from AmEx

I've been looking to get an AmEx for quite some time now but reading reviews has set me back for months. A friend however got recently approved with a 650 TU score for a 2K CL. My TU is currently at 660, with no deliquencies, 2 inquiries, an avg credit history of 1 yr & 8months, and $45k yearly income.

Also carry 5 other CC's

Best Buy: 0/$400

Nordstrom: 1400/$1500

Chase Slate: 500/$600

Chase Freedom: 0/$800

Capital One Journey: 1400/$1500

I also have a student loan for $2400 but don't know if they take that into consideration. 

I do carry a balance on 3 of 5 cards but will that impact my odds of approval by much?

I decided to opt for the skymiles since I do fly about 4 times a year (and heard it's the easiest to get approved for) but don't know if any other AmEx cards would have easier approval odds.

What does your EX Fico and report look like?  I believe AmEx pulls EX the majority of the time.  If your EX is around the 660+, with low inquiries, relatively low overall utilization, and no derogs, I think you have a good chance, too.  The Delta Gold was actually the first AmEx I was approved for (with an EX Fico in the low 660's and with a few paid baddies on my report). 

Anecdotally, the Delta Gold is one of the easier (if not the easiest) AmEx revolvers to qualify for.  I applied for it myself just to get my foot in the door (through the Delta website vs. directly on the AmEx website) and was instantly approved.  And, although it was only for a $1k CL, I was ecstatic to finally be a part of the AmEx family.  Immediately afterwards, I tried for a charge card (through the AmEx website) and was declined.....which was a bit ironic since I'd heard that their charge cards were easier to get than their revolvers.  Apparently, for me, that wasn't the case.  Good thing is that since then, I have been able to PC the Delta to a Blue card as well as attain 3 other AmEx cards.

Anyway, IMO, if your EX credit profile is the same as or similar to what you stated in your original post, you probably do have a good shot at the Delta Gold.  But for an even better shot (especially if you'd like a higher starting CL for your travel purposes), I would try to pay down the 3 accounts you're carrying balances on first (to less than 30% utilization on each but ideally to where only 1 of those accounts are reporting a balance <10%).  This in itself will greatly improve your credit scores plus your chances for approval and probably a much better initial CL (after those lower balances report).  Unfortunately right now, those 3 accounts are more than likely impacting your score with "maxed-out" statuses. 

Good luck to you......hope you get your first AmEx soon!!!

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 3 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum. It takes more then scores and no baddies to get approved. To have a shot you will have to get your utilization down in my opinion. What ever you decide I wish you Good Luck!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 7
alvon123
Super Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

Welcome to the forum. It takes more then scores and no baddies to get approved. To have a shot you will have to get your utilization down in my opinion. What ever you decide I wish you Good Luck!

+1

Message 5 of 7
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@coldnmn wrote:

That would be my opinion as well. You appear to them to be maxed out on two of your cards. I would recommend paying them down first, it would certainly help.

Message 6 of 7
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Your profile looks good in my book, and you may be in the borderline as far as the score goes.  Now the balances may scare off AMEX, like others said...you may want to let your balance go down a bit and get in to a comfortable 1~20% UTIL range.  Best of luck.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.