Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Cards for Beginners

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Cards for Beginners

My fiance is fairly new to credit, I have her as AUs on my 6 Credit Cards right now and I had her apply for the Capital One Platinum which she was approved for back in April 2019 for $300, after 3 months I was looking to see if she was eligible for an upgrade and I had her upgrade to the Quicksilver after that we needed a new bedroom set so since I knew I was at my limit I had her apply for an IKEA card and she was instantly approved for $6,000

After awhile she started to see how far good credit can get you and understood where I was coming from especially with us saving up for a house in the next 2 years. So I tried to apply for another card under such as beginner cards. I tried Amex Express Everday which was denied for lack of history, a week later I asked her to apply for tha BoA Cash Rewards card and she was denied then she went on her own to apply for the Discover Card Gas & Resturant and she was denied again. I was attempting to have her apply for Ducks Unlimited just primarly on gas since we drive around a lot but I'm not sure if they do well with new credit seekers, does anyone have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Good Cards for Beginners

Once she has about a year of her own credit, have her try disco and amex again. Chase will need minimum of 12 months usually, but their problem is they hard pull for increases, so it's better that she builds some history to get a higher starting limit with them in the first place. I'd probably wait 1 1/2 years of more before going for them.

Message 2 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Once she has about a year of her own credit, have her try disco and amex again. Chase will need minimum of 12 months usually, but their problem is they hard pull for increases, so it's better that she builds some history to get a higher starting limit with them in the first place. I'd probably wait 1 1/2 years of more before going for them.

...and the 6 AU accounts (with YMMV exceptions) count towards 5/24.

HP for CLIs, yes...but SLs can be good and reallocation is easy.

Chase requiring 12 months is also YMMV, though. I know they sometimes give checking/savings customers a card without any credit history.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 25
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

...and the 6 AU accounts (with YMMV exceptions) count towards 5/24.

HP for CLIs, yes...but SLs can be good and reallocation is easy.

Chase requiring 12 months is also YMMV, though. I know they sometimes give checking/savings customers a card without any credit history.

The AU accounts can be removed from a report depending on who they are. 

SL can be good for someone with no history. Can't reallocate if she doesn't have more than one which means another 6 months for the second card.

12 months is pretty standard. Are there outliers? Yes, but not many. Chase doesn't care about relationships so a checking/saving won't help. Those people are just anomolies.

Message 4 of 25
Hut1
Established Contributor

If she's desperate, CreditOne has a credit building CC. I don't highly recommend them as the CL's are low and she'll eventually outgrow it. https://www.creditonebank.com

Probably sucks to hear this, but she needs time to age her accounts. Disco & Amex in 6-12 mos sounds like a good plan.

download

Message 5 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It was a few years ago, but my sister and I both started our credit histories with Freedom. $600 SL for me, but still an instant approval.

OP, with recent inquiries and her own card not having 6 months of history yet, it may be good to hold off on apps until November or December.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 25
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Stop applying for credit. She's getting denied. Come up with a strategy.

Have you reviewed the denial letters with her? What are the cited reasons for denial?

If she's new to credit, have you actual checked to see if she has FICO scores generated?

How long ago was the BoA denial? If BoA app was recent, I would suggest going in branch or call csr and see if they can recycle the hard pull. They can counter with secured card. They offer $99 deposit for $500 credit line. BoA can graduate early and offers soft pull credit limit increase.
Message 7 of 25
Raisondetre
Contributor

She needs to let what she has age a bit before applying for anything else. You don't want her to have so many HPs on such a thin file. Have her pull her FICO and see where it's at right now and then the rest is patience.
Most Used
Amex Hilton Honors Aspire - $30K
Amex Hilton Honors Business - $10K
Amex Amazon Prime Business - $12.4K

Used sparingly or in sock drawer
X1 Visa - $27K
PenFed Gold Visa - $9K
NavyFed Cash Rewards - $5K
Care Credit - $20K
Walmart Mastercard - $2K
Tractor Supply card - $6K
Amazon Prime Synchrony Card - $10K
Home Depot card - $12K
PNC Points - $13K
FNBO Evergreen - $2.8k
Discover It Chrome - $2.8K
Discover it Cash Back - $1K
FNBO Visa Signature - $1K
Commence Bank Special Connections - $2K
WF Reflect - $4K

Fico scores September 2023
Equifax - 786
Experian - 770
Transunion - 776
Had scores in the 500s 5 years ago
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Raisondetre wrote:
She needs to let what she has age a bit before applying for anything else. You don't want her to have so many HPs on such a thin file. Have her pull her FICO and see where it's at right now and then the rest is patience.

She has some pretty decent scores, TU 751, EQ 720, EX 790 but the thin file is what's killing it right now.

Message 9 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My fiance is fairly new to credit, I have her as AUs on my 6 Credit Cards right now and I had her apply for the Capital One Platinum which she was approved for back in April 2019 for $300, after 3 months I was looking to see if she was eligible for an upgrade and I had her upgrade to the Quicksilver after that we needed a new bedroom set so since I knew I was at my limit I had her apply for an IKEA card and she was instantly approved for $6,000

After awhile she started to see how far good credit can get you and understood where I was coming from especially with us saving up for a house in the next 2 years. So I tried to apply for another card under such as beginner cards. I tried Amex Express Everday which was denied for lack of history, a week later I asked her to apply for tha BoA Cash Rewards card and she was denied then she went on her own to apply for the Discover Card Gas & Resturant and she was denied again. I was attempting to have her apply for Ducks Unlimited just primarly on gas since we drive around a lot but I'm not sure if they do well with new credit seekers, does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi and welcome to myFICO

Please STOP having her apply for credit! One denial should have stopped you from nudging her to get more credit. 😢 Unfortunately, she has wasted HPs and you're still wanting her to continue on the merry-go-round. I’m sorry, but she has to get off the ride—now.

It’s time to garden and start reading on what it takes to maintain good credit. It’s waiting 6 months before applying for cards. It’s checking prequal sites to see if there are any prequals before taking the plunge (then decide). lt’s allowing cards in one’s pocket to age. It’s keeping UT low and of course making on time payments.  

So, the main thing to remember is that building a great credit profile is a marathon, not a sprint. Like the tale of the tortoise and hare—slow and steady wins the race. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.