Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Cards with Good Balance Transfer Perks suggestions

tag
DBSH
New Contributor

Good Cards with Good Balance Transfer Perks suggestions

I am looking to transfer some balances to a card that I actually will eventually use after I get the benefits of getting the temporary APR reprieve in my sock drawer.

My signature has the cards I currently hold. I am looking for a lower BT fee (i.e. 0-2% instead of the 4%). A card that will serve a purpose other than a interest haven (i.e. travel card with some insane signup bonus) longer period 0% Intro APR (12 months is great, but 18 or 24 is nicer) . I would also enjoy a lower AF or at least a first year waived. I will take whatever the best combo that is available. They offer me balance transfer deals with my current cards but I'm kind of tempted to try my luck for another card given that none of the deals are that mind blowing

I searched the forum and didn't find what I was looking for, but if it was in front of my eyes, please send me the link. Thanks everyone in advance and good luck to everyone's gardening, repair or improvement efforts in 2017.

BofA Cash Rewards: $15,000; Capital One Quicksilver: $9,000; Discover IT $15,000; Amex BCE: $15,000. Barclaycard Ring $12,000; Amazon $5000:
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Good Cards with Good Balance Transfer Perks suggestions

You won't find any perks associated with BT's 

You won't earn rewards on any BT's

If you have a card with a purchase offer $0% for XXX amount of time then yes you'll earn rewards (travel/Cash back) 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
DBSH
New Contributor

I wasn't expecting a cash back or points deal on the balance transfer, but I was hoping for something like a Venture or AAAdvanatgeUberPlatinum Cards would have like a 50k points if you spend $2 in the first month and 0% APR for 12 months with 2% BT fee. I'm not in a huge rush and can be patient.

BofA Cash Rewards: $15,000; Capital One Quicksilver: $9,000; Discover IT $15,000; Amex BCE: $15,000. Barclaycard Ring $12,000; Amazon $5000:
Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@DBSH wrote:

I wasn't expecting a cash back or points deal on the balance transfer, but I was hoping for something like a Venture or AAAdvanatgeUberPlatinum Cards would have like a 50k points if you spend $2 in the first month and 0% APR for 12 months with 2% BT fee. I'm not in a huge rush and can be patient.

Same thing most true travel cards don't come with a $0% term

All they come with is an AF ....Lol

They will give you an BT offer but the interest on it starts as soon as it post and would negate any bonus offers 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I can't think of any cards that tick ALL of your boxes, but the Citi Diamond Preferred could get you 0% for 21 months, and can easily be converted to a Double Cash after you pay off the BT.  The usual fee would be 3%, though. The Discover it would be 0% fee but would likely only be 0% for 12 months. (Edit: Just saw that you already have an it card.)

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not 0% APR but they do not charge any BT fees. Check out Navy Federal. They are doing 2.99% for 12 months, plus an extra 2% on Amazon purchases. Not sure if you have seen the thread about how anyone can join now. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Merrill Lynch, 50k bonus worth $500 cash or up to 2 plane tickets worth $500 ea after 3k spend in 90 days. Max apr is 16.24% lowest is 13.24.  Also has 0% for 12 months on BT's.

I would also assume like other BoA cards their BT terms fluctuate and improve with time, Might even be longer if you phone in.  You're already with BoA if you have been with them 6 months or a year even better. I'd go for the ML and BBR.  Move around limits and done.  Place 300 in a free savings account, you'd get 120 a year easily, and $500 on the ML.  That will more than offset the 3% fee.  Not to mention recurring bt offers that will increase to 17-19 months.

If you are under 5/24, then you should app for CSR and CSP.  You could also do a debt shuffle now without applying for any new cards. Your cap1, ring, and discover (if choosing 4.9% for 18 months) all have no BT fees.  This is called a debt shuffle. Move the debt to capital one then move it to the card with the best BT offer.  

Discover has the best calculator anywhere for figuring out what the break even point is for paying a 3% fee vs paying no fee and doing 4.99% for 18 months.

I would also ask for APR reductions on everything you have but the ring and amazon store card.

Message 7 of 8
DBSH
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Bank of America Merrill Lynch, 50k bonus worth $500 cash or up to 2 plane tickets worth $500 ea after 3k spend in 90 days. Max apr is 16.24% lowest is 13.24.  Also has 0% for 12 months on BT's.

I would also assume like other BoA cards their BT terms fluctuate and improve with time, Might even be longer if you phone in.  You're already with BoA if you have been with them 6 months or a year even better. I'd go for the ML and BBR.  Move around limits and done.  Place 300 in a free savings account, you'd get 120 a year easily, and $500 on the ML.  That will more than offset the 3% fee.  Not to mention recurring bt offers that will increase to 17-19 months.

These are all great insights! Thank you sooo  much. Since it's going to cost me an inq anyway, I might as well PC my BofA AND ask for a CLI?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.