Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good CitiCard to Apply for...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good CitiCard to Apply for...

I got my scores up to 650-660, should be going up more next month once IF parents Amex AU reports, and a baddie or two get off. I want to wait until then to apply for my two 'goal cards', Amazon Chase and Target Visa. In the interim, I'd like to take a shot with a Citibank Card.

My Efx currently has 5 good accounts, two new, average age about 7 years, oldest about 10, utilization about 5%. One old baddie (Cap1 CO, drops in September, $1200) which I hope to force off this month (OC'd after Dispute) and one recent Paid Collection

My TU has 3 good accounts, oldest 11 years, two new, utilization 15% (because of the saqme Cap1 CO which shows Limit and Balance as same), and has two unpaid Collections (still trying to get themn off, gooing to PFD one and DV'd the other).

Based on this, is there any Citi Card you would recommend trying? I'm sort of looking at it as 'a loss' since I'd prefer to wait until everything is good but I'd like a CC and line now for various reasons.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good CitiCard to Apply for...

why not try the boa pre-approval lin to see if they come up with anything? barring that just about any viti card is great, i have diamond preferred rewards master card and a cash returns coming.

check citi's site and find one that has the perks that you like, then come back and ask specific questions. we're here to help. just stay out of the sleigh center, you'll get a shot of hvt just for thinking about apping.
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dnm45227 wrote:
why not try the boa pre-approval lin to see if they come up with anything? barring that just about any viti card is great, i have diamond preferred rewards master card and a cash returns coming.
check citi's site and find one that has the perks that you like, then come back and ask specific questions. we're here to help. just stay out of the sleigh center, you'll get a shot of hvt just for thinking about apping.

Thanks. BOA turned me down on applying, as did WAMU. WAMU said it was because of old Providian account, not sure of BOAs reasoning.

Follow-Up Q: Is there anything to applying for Citi,taking what they give me (low $ and high APR) and then requesting Credit Line Increase in say 3 months after not only a few months of payments but addition of the AUs and baddies falling off? Would that in theory net me the same thing as if I'd waited the three months to apply, or do I get locked in to some crappy ceiling card?

My only 'requirements' for the card are as high a limit as possible, no annual fee would be NICE, low APR would be great. I don't care about miles, rewards, etc. Mostly want one that I am most likely to get approved for based on credit, hopefully one that pulls Efx instead of TU, and one that won't in fact be a 'starter' card I can never move up my CL or lower my APR on.
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

citi pull a cr based on the region you live in. try the card selector thing to filter the cards that fit your criteria then save and compare the ones you are interested in.

in my experience all citi cards will grow with you, but they like to see 6 months before they start luving you. i tend to push things and went from 3.5k to 10k in 6 months, then got an approval on the cash returns last night for 4.8k and before the card has even been printed called to see if they would match the 10k i gave already. csr ssaid no way to even rqst yet, but she'd note the file so a credit analyst could review it.
Message 4 of 27
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I was approved for AA Bronze for $5K and HHonors for $12K. I have combined them both into one and changed it to Dividend MC. I like to see cash back in hand quick than points.
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

concord, dividends was one i was considering when i appd the cash returns. really came down to the little charter member monogram on the card syll reported. vain i know, but really hope mine comes with it.
Message 6 of 27
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Once you get the card, you can always change it to some thing different. I am so pleased with Citi I am moving all my accounts Checking / Saving / IRA. Only thing I can not move yet is my business account as there is no Citi Branches in NH. Once I open a new office in MA or NJ then I would be able to move my biz account. I like no hassle policy from Citi. I am loving it.
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, pulling from NYC with the scores (650-660) and TU/Efx profiles I listed, do you think I have a shot with Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card?
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I pulled the trigger anyway. In part because two 6 mos Inqs on TU fell of my report and one is due to fall off in May, so even if I get declined, when I re-apply in May I'll just have one inq on each CRA. I got this. Bad news? "Your application has been received. Further processing is required at this time. We will contact you within 30 days via email regarding our decision. Thank you for requesting a Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card."
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So, pulling from NYC with the scores (650-660) and TU/Efx profiles I listed, do you think I have a shot with Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card?

nyccc, it appears that Citi pulls TU in New York, as they do in Texas.

My TU was 662 when I applied, and was approved. I'm not sure what the minimum score requirement is though. I'd say if you have 660 or above, go for it. If less, it's a risk that only you can call.
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.