cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Guessers & Psychics Needed (Approval odds, AMEX FR, etc.)

tag
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

Re: Good Guessers & Psychics Needed (Approval odds, AMEX FR, etc.)

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
You could do Blue Sky Preferred...

I looked into it & a lot of my travels are in-state. I travel out-of-state maybe 1 - 2 times a year at the most and out-of-country once a year.

Message 11 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

the definition of huge is relative to your income.

anyways, if you rack up say 10k worth of charges, but you are able to pay off at least 50%, preferably 70% of it within 30 days, i doubt you will ever hear a call from the FR department. Of course, don't drag the remaining balance for a long time. AMEX is a company and you're their client. Their job is to make you happy and easy, not to rain hell on you for no reason.

So really don't worry too much.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 16
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

If you're seriously considering the Alaska Airlines card, look out for statement credit next time you are booking a flight on their website. You get an extra $100 as well as all the normal sign-up bonuses.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 13 of 16
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@GMCSierraDenali wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

Greetings from sunny Florida!

Don't sweat the FR from AMEX on running the family's errand purchases thru your card. Although it's certain they track spending compared to your stated income they also know where you live (Alaska) and surely you can't be the only person in that state to make large purchases on AMEX for the family and get reimbursed. I would bet that many people do the same thing. In the event of a FR just submit the needed form for tax returns along with a letter explaining what you are doing for the family in desolate Alaska. Reimbursement payment proof would resolve it. 

Worst case make it a business. Apply for a business charge with rewards that will help cover your family trips and call it a day. You will never show a profit but that's not the end of the world. AMEX does not make money on your profit, they make it on swipe fees. As long as you pay the bill on time and in full you are golden (or green or platinum). 

@enharu wrote:

If they FR you, just explain you're running errands for your family (and/or boss) and that you usually get reimbursed before you make the purchases, just that you want to accrue rewards so you're using your amex cards to pay for them instead.

As long as you do not carry over HUGE balances, you should be fine.  

As scary as FR might seem, it rarely ever happens. As long as you're a paying customer and rarely carry over any balance, you're helping American Express make money through transaction fees as well if anything. I don't see why they would want to terminate you for any reason.

Yes, you two are right - It is quite common actually to do that here. I know quite a few college students/young adults that are always given these huge shopping lists to purchase on their own cards even though their parents are really the ones paying for it. Proving reimbursement wouldn't be difficult at all as well.

I assume a, "HUGE," balance would be north of $10,000 ? I haven't gotten anywhere near that on my previous cards so that shouldn't be an issue. I think the most I ran through one of my cards in a month span for errands was around $5,000 something.

I think huge is a relative term. To you $5,000 monthly and to me $50,000 monthly. To AMEX both are a drop in the bucket. Get the charge card and wear it out. 

Message 14 of 16
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

@sengpatt wrote:
If you're seriously considering the Alaska Airlines card, look out for statement credit next time you are booking a flight on their website. You get an extra $100 as well as all the normal sign-up bonuses.

Never heard of this offer. Will be looking out for it next time I book on their website. Thanks for the heads up ! Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 16
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I think huge is a relative term. To you $5,000 monthly and to me $50,000 monthly. To AMEX both are a drop in the bucket. Get the charge card and wear it out. 

Good point. Thanks !

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.