Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Ole Cap One

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Good Ole Cap One

Lol, I'll never understand the cap1 hate. If you're re/building, they'll give you a card. If your credit sucks they'll give you a card. If you have good credit, they'll give you awesome cards with great limits. You get what you deserve based on your credit.

As for the triple pull, Chase does a double, amex and Citi have been known to occasionally double pull. Credit unions HP just for logging into your account. It won't count after a year and it'll be gone in 2. Same as every other lender. Everyone acts like they triple pull EX.

I will always keep a slot open in my wallet for a Cap1 product. They're the only bank that I've had through good and bad credit, and as @UncleB will attest, they always work with no issues.

OP: Close it if you feel you need to, but I recommend you hold out for a combination as long as you can. If the AF is coming up, request it be waived. Mine was waived and others have had partial waivers. 

Message 11 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Lol, I'll never understand the cap1 hate. If you're re/building, they'll give you a card. If your credit sucks they'll give you a card. If you have good credit, they'll give you awesome cards with great limits. You get what you deserve based on your credit.

As for the triple pull, Chase does a double, amex and Citi have been known to occasionally double pull. Credit unions HP just for logging into your account. It won't count after a year and it'll be gone in 2. Same as every other lender. Everyone acts like they triple pull EX.

I will always keep a slot open in my wallet for a Cap1 product. They're the only bank that I've had through good and bad credit, and as @UncleB will attest, they always work with no issues.

OP: Close it if you feel you need to, but I recommend you hold out for a combination as long as you can. If the AF is coming up, request it be waived. Mine was waived and others have had partial waivers. 

+1 - This ^^^ is spot-on.  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 25
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, plenty of 1.5% Cash back cards out there who only pull once, maybe twice (still better than 3Smiley Wink ) id invest my time in a different lender and you can always revist CapOne for their other cards when your profile is better.

^^^This^^^ If it were me, I’d close them both and focus my energy on better cards. AAoA won’t be affected for many years.  

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 13 of 25
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, plenty of 1.5% Cash back cards out there who only pull once, maybe twice (still better than 3Smiley Wink ) id invest my time in a different lender and you can always revist CapOne for their other cards when your profile is better.

^^^This^^^ If it were me, I’d close them both and focus my energy on better cards. AAoA won’t be affected for many years.  

I was hoping you'd chime in P&G. You are, afterall, my card closing hero 🤩😂

Message 14 of 25
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

Re: Good Ole Cap One *updated*

Well, the QS1 is no more- certainly felt weird axing it. But, since it was my only AF card, I'm quickly over it. I will sit on the Quicksilver for a moment and see if Cap throws anything my way. Could just be wishful thinking 🤔

Other cards are requiring my use this year and the second QS was splitting the difference of the CapOne portion. Now, the spending QS1 was seeing can be spread accordingly. And perhaps, the Quicksilver could get rebucketed and grow or PC. To be seen.

Message 15 of 25
howellco2
Frequent Contributor

I did the pre qual and for the first time I was offered the savor with and with out AF and the QS with out AF I currently have the QS with a AF and a 2600 limit that they wont give me a cli on over 3 years now ... was thinking of applying for the no AF Savor will the let me move the 2600 to it or not ?

MAJOR BANK CARDS Amex BC 15k, Amex CM 1500, Amex Delta 1k, BB&T Travel 4500, BBVA 6900, CAP1QS 2600, Discover 3300, Marvel MC 6000, Wells Fargo CR 4500, Blispay 2k
CREDIT UNION CARDS DCU 2k , Robbins 10k, United1st 5k
STORE CARDS Amazon 10k, Home Depot 5k, PayPal 4k, Walmart 6k, Lowes 12k
Message 16 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@howellco2 wrote:
I did the pre qual and for the first time I was offered the savor with and with out AF and the QS with out AF I currently have the QS with a AF and a 2600 limit that they wont give me a cli on over 3 years now ... was thinking of applying for the no AF Savor will the let me move the 2600 to it or not ?

Unfortunately, Capital One does not reallocate CLs, whether from core or partnership CCs.

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious why you would close the account? I mean does it not help your credit profile overall? And is it being reported as a subprime and lenders see when you apply for credit? I started out with Cap1 with the platinum card and upgraded into the quicksilver one and now the Venture One, but I guess its still the platinum card with Venture One benefits. $4500 CL that I am trying to up, but its been a upward battle.

Message 18 of 25
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Curious why you would close the account? I mean does it not help your credit profile overall? And is it being reported as a subprime and lenders see when you apply for credit? I started out with Cap1 with the platinum card and upgraded into the quicksilver one and now the Venture One, but I guess its still the platinum card with Venture One benefits. $4500 CL that I am trying to up, but its been a upward battle.

Some people choose 20 cards, some choose 5. Some have better relationships with some lenders while some do well with others. I have a small spread of cards that I love and I want to focus all spend through them. I'm not going to be concerned with my sub-prime, because that's what they are and they served their purpose long enough. Limits are stunted and low and there will be no more growth with them. I am gardening and growing accounts that will. Any 'loss' occurred by relieving Cap of its duty will be minimal. If I were stuck with a $4,500 limit, rather a $500 and $300 limit, perhaps that would be different. I have other cards in sight after at least a year of gardening. Looking forward. ✌🏽

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FenderGuy

It's all subjective to each person and where they are in their journey.  When you're starting out or recovering from bad habits it's drilled into your thinking to never close a card because it was difficult to get it and you need it for age.  When you start picking up better options that first card starts headed for the SD for less use because it's a stubborn low limit card but, you keep it alive because it's your oldest.  Things keep getting better and you start finding yourself hitting those mile stones like 5K, 10K, 15K and so on and your old first date is collecting dust in a drawer.  The fever to keep it active is dwindling year after year to the point it's been 2 years since you put a pack of gum on it.  Eventually it's time to consider a divorce and you struggle back and forth with the decision for another couple of years while that card clings to life support.  Finally you smother it with a pillow and don't look back.

Cards are someitmes only there for a singular purpose like generating a credit score to get something better down the road.  Everyone eventually comes to the realization of that purpose being served and eventually will cut ties when they forget to use it and it gets closed.  Some just prefer to pull the trigger themselves.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.